Vice Provost and Dean, College of Arts, Sciences, and Education
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Rolla, Missouri
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Dean, College of Arts, Sciences, and Education
Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) is seeking a bold and visionary leader of the newly restructured College of Arts, Science, and Education (CASE).
This is an exciting time in Missouri S&T’s history, with fresh leadership, a focused vision, and the transformational opportunities afforded by several significant philanthropic gifts. The dean will join the university’s leadership team of Chancellor Mo Dehgani, Provost Colin Potts, Vice Chancellor for Research Kamal Khayat, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations, Alysha O’Neil, and the new deans of Missouri S&T’s other two colleges: the College of Engineering and Computing, and the Kummer College of Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Economic Development. All are working toward four “north star” goals: to increase enrollment significantly, especially in graduate education; promote student success, thriving, and retention; broaden the research base, and achieve Carnegie R1 status; and elevate Missouri S&T’s national and international stature and reputation. Several significant endowed positions are being filled in all three colleges, enabled among other gifts by a transformational donation of $300 million by Fred and June Kummer.
Missouri University of Science and Technology is one of the nation’s top technological research universities and one of four distinct universities of the University of Missouri System. The University offers quality educational opportunities, with 101 different degree programs in 40 areas of study in engineering, science, computing and technology, business, social sciences, humanities, and education. Together, the colleges are home to almost 400 full-time faculty, in addition to part-time faculty. Missouri S&T has a total student enrollment of 7,271 for Fall 2021 with graduate student enrollment of approximately 1,545. Missouri S&T is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a doctoral university with high research activity, and at the close of FY2021, research expenditures at S&T were $53,315,090. Approximately two-thirds of funding comes from federal sources and the remaining one-third of funding comes from industry/private partnerships.
The College of Arts, Sciences, and Education offers 13 undergraduate degree programs in applied mathematics, biological sciences, chemistry, English, history, information science and technology, multidisciplinary studies, philosophy, physics, psychology, and technical communication, as well as 52 minors. In addition, students may specialize in one of more than 27 emphasis areas within these degree programs. CASE also delivers the majority of academic offerings in the general education curriculum.
Master’s degrees are offered in the departments of biological sciences; chemistry; English and technical communication; mathematics and statistics; physics; and psychological science. In addition, doctoral degrees are offered in the departments of chemistry, mathematics and statistics, and physics.
CASE enrolls approximately 1,200 students, with 890 of those students being undergraduates. There are approximately 174 faculty and 14 staff in the College.
Reporting to the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, the Dean of the College of Arts, Sciences, and Education will provide academic, budgetary, and administrative leadership for the college. As CASE responds to the university’s restructuring that will create its newest college (the Kummer College), the CASE Dean must be able to highlight, support, and leverage existing strengths while also providing a vision for aligning the college more closely with the university’s overall commitment to transformational and innovative research, education, and programming. Supporting student and faculty success, the Dean will continue to build the college’s financial resources and engage external partners who can invest in the continuing success of the college. The Dean should be actively engaged in promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion within the college and across campus.
The University seeks candidates who bring the following skills and experiences:
- Demonstrated scholarly and professional accomplishments commensurate with an appointment as a tenured full professor in the college;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and experience building programs that clearly demonstrate those values and practices;
- Experience facilitating interdisciplinary work that transcends traditional boundaries and inspiring and leading faculty in civic engagement and community-engaged scholarship;
- Ability to lead a faculty community that encompasses a variety of scholarly disciplines;
- Demonstrated administrative ability to delegate, prioritize, and make timely, transparent, and collaborative decisions;
- Record of effective large-scale budget management;
- An ability to identify and secure financial resources that support the College;
- Experience with online, blended, and distance education;
- Strong communication skills and capabilities to develop outcome-focused collaborations among all stakeholders, including the ability to identify mutual goals of all partners and to actively listen to key stakeholders and clearly articulate the College’s vision, mission, and accomplishments in a way that will forge productive links and support from the University administration and external constituencies; and
- An ability to deal with difficult and challenging situations effectively with fairness, and for consensus building when making impactful decisions and changes.
Application materials should include a letter of interest addressing how the candidate’s experience matches the position description, a current curriculum vitae, and a statement explaining how their current and previous contributions enhance a culture of diversity and inclusion through administration, teaching, research, creative activity and/or service.
To receive the full position profile, as well as to submit applications and nominations, please contact the University’s executive recruitment consultants:
Martin M. Baker, Managing Partner
Chelsie Whitelock, Principal
More search results
Assistant Vice President for Human Resources, Sup…
Vice President of Mission and Ministry
PROVOST AND VICE PRESIDENT OF ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
Lawrence Technological University
Vice President for Finance and Business
Vice President of Human Resources