Director of Finance Strategic Projects & Initiatives
- Michigan State University
- East Lansing, MI
Director of Finance Strategic Projects & Initiatives
Under administrative direction from the Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer, the Director provides principle counsel and direction regarding strategic initiatives and projects. Director is responsible for the management and implementation of complex and multi-faceted projects which may include process and policy creation for the university. This position leads through influence and engages in high performance, innovative, and leading-edge practices.
PRINCIPLE SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as a principle advisor to the Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer providing project – based analysis, advice, and counsel as appropriate.
- Leads and manages complex projects involving multiple stakeholders by creating long and short- term plans, deadlines, and milestones. Collaborates with and coordinates efforts regarding such projects between and among institutional leaders of the University to enhance effectiveness and probability of attaining strategic objectives.
- Researches, analyzes, and makes recommendations on issues related to significant institutional issues and leads/participates in ongoing business process improvement initiatives.
- Represents the Office of the Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer in complicated and sensitive financial and other business matters and where the SVP is the principal decision maker or responsible party.
- Drafts materials on related topics for internal and external audiences on behalf of the SVP. Presents information effectively and confidently to a diverse population across multiple audiences.
- Manages both institution-wide and departmental process transformation and change efforts related to key financial activities.
- Manages finance, human resources, and budget functions and operations for the Office of the SVP and provides analysis and reporting for those functions as appropriate.
- Manages process improvement function, including change management, lean/six sigma process analysis and support for institution-wide financial process change.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Bachelors -Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, or closely related field
The Director must meet the following qualifications:
- A minimum of five to seven years experience in a senior administrative operational role required.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of University’s budget, financial, and broad business affairs.
- Deep understanding of the principles, practices, methods and techniques of strategic planning, forecasting, budgeting, and critical thinking in the analysis/assessment of projects and initiatives.
- Mastery of project management terminology, concepts, and best practices established by the PMBOK.
- Ability to interpret statistical data accurately and reliably for identification of trends, issues and/or opportunities and prepare technical reports or presentations to communicate such.
- Competency managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders and priorities, and tight deadlines.
- Competency managing process improvement and change management.
- Experienced mediator with well-developed conflict resolution skills who also has the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Experience in policy creation, policy implementation, and business process mapping and design.
- Demonstrated advanced skill in utilizing effective written and verbal communication and listening skills when representing and/or acting on behalf of the Office of the SVP as well as the university to positively influence and provide effective solutions.
- Capability to lead with both a decisive and consultative style, utilizing strong and effective negotiation and communication skills to complex relationships.
- Understanding of lean process improvement or six sigma evaluation techniques, including change management practices.
- Master’s degree
- Project Management Institute (PMI) certification
- Lean/Six Sigma Green Belt
Required Application Materials
Cover Letter and Resume/CV. Three professional references with contact information.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Applicants should apply on-line at https://careers.msu.edu/ and search for posting #750126
Address application materials to Lisa Frace, Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Review of Applications Begins On
The Office of the Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer provides primary leadership, guidance, direction, and oversight to the university’s complex financial and business functions. The Senior Vice President, CFO & Treasurer is responsible for the identification of significant issues affecting the financial health of the university and provides analysis and formulation of strategies to deal with these issues.
Responsibilities include oversight and management of six administrative units, including the functional areas of accounting, investments, debt and cash management, risk management and insurance, payroll, financial planning and budget, postaward research contract and grant administration, travel, receivables, and loan management.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
More search results
Dean, Macaulay Honors College
City University of New York
Lecturer in Veterinary Technology
University of New Hampshire
Assistant Professor of School Psychology
California State University, Los Angeles, Division of Special Education & Counseling
Senior Educational Program Administrator
University of Connecticut
Academic Specialist in Biology
Lyman Briggs College, Michigan State University