Experienced Senior Accountant/Financial Analyst - Division of Finance
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Experienced Senior Accountant/Financial Analyst - Division of Finance
Job Profile Title
Accountant/Financial Analyst Senior
Job Description Summary
Performs significant aspects of Penn s external reporting and analysis process including related internal controls and monthly closing procedures, and highly technical and complex accounting/reporting research.
Significant responsibilities and duties include:
Ensures compliance with GAAP through detailed review of complex accounting rules and the application of those rules to complicated and multifaceted transactions throughout the University. Prepares professionally documented accounting and reporting research position papers (following professional practices used by EITF) recommending critical accounting decisions for concurrence by the Manger/Director. Monitors emerging accounting, reporting and control rules promulgated by authoritative bodies including the SEC, FASB, EITF and AICPA. Benchmarks other entity reporting/accounting practices. Evaluates these emerging rules and practices, communicates impact on the University, and recommends and implements appropriate actions. The Senior is assigned multiple financial statement categories (e.g. tuition, benefits) and has responsibility for any related research.
Performs and evaluates comprehensive analysis and prepares formal analysis documents used by executive management to communicate business trends and issues to the Board of Directors and by external auditors to verify compliance with reporting controls as well as the accuracy of our statements. Prepares and evaluates comprehensive monthly analysis designed to detect and correct significant accounting/reporting errors and identifies and communicates corrective actions required to prevent their reoccurrence. The Senior is assigned multiple financial statement categories (e.g. tuition, benefits) and has responsibility for any related analysis.
Ensures reporting accuracy and transparency through professional preparation and self -review of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and related disclosures including footnotes. Reviews footnote disclosures prepared by other departments. Implements the GAAP related reporting process at assigned schools and centers. Performs and verifies the consolidation process for our $8 billion health system, complex real estate operations and other subsidiaries. Prepares an analysis of other external reports such as Commonwealth Appropriations, Census Data, IPEDS, NSF, and UCA. Seniors are assigned multiple financial statement categories (e.g. tuition, benefits) as well as certain schools/centers and have responsibility for any related reporting including footnote disclosures.
In the Division of Finance, we recognize diversity and inclusion is paramount to a positive and thriving work environment; it is a business imperative. We are committed to actively fostering diversity, inclusion and cultural competency throughout our operational efforts in the Division of Finance. This role will be critical in supporting those efforts and demonstrating behaviors and competencies that reflect Penn's values.
We take pride in the myriad ways that diversity enriches our curriculum, and the cultural and social life of our campus. Penn's commitment to achieving eminence through diversity is ultimately a commitment to creating a more vibrant university so that our graduates will be both stimulated and empowered to shape a better world.
- Analysis: Performs/evaluates comprehensive analysis and prepares formal analysis documents used by executive management to communicate business trends and issues to the Board of Directors and by external auditors to verify compliance with reporting controls as well as the accuracy of our statements.
- Reporting: Ensures compliance with GAAP through detailed review of complex accounting rules and the application of those rules to complicated and multifaceted transactions throughout the University.
- Control: Implements the functional aspects of the closing process/schedule and assists the Managers with related system requirements performed by Finance IT and ISC. Assists the Managers with the implementation of a comprehensive business control model in functional departments throughout the university including assignment of object code control and analysis responsibilities.
- Research: Ensures compliance with GAAP through detailed review of complex accounting rules and the application of those rules to complicated and multifaceted transactions throughout the University. Prepares professionally documented accounting and reporting research position papers recommending critical accounting decisions for concurrence by the Manger/Director. Monitors emerging accounting, reporting and control rules promulgated by authoritative bodies.
- External audit: Assists in all aspects of the external audit process including scheduling of quarterly reviews and annual audit activities, scheduling of related internal activities to meet external deadlines, coordination with other functional departments to ensure that necessary supporting information is provided timely and accurately, and coordination of Management Letter Comments and responses.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experienced Senior Accountant / Financial Analyst Qualifications:
- Requires a Bachelor's degree preferably in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field with 5 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and practices (GAAP) and a minimum of five to seven years of relevant experience.
- Must have excellent communication skills and computer literacy; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook). Must be skilled in understanding database structure and have the ability to manipulate data imports and exports for financial reporting and analysis. Must have advanced command of excel functions. Knowledge and experience with journal entries, financial statement preparation, and general accounting concepts are also required. Demonstrated ability to work independently and to exercise confidentiality and discretion in the operational decision-making process. Ability to effectively research, present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative and facilitation skills to gain consensus; Ability to independently work with a high degree of accuracy under tight timelines;
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills, including experience presenting to management and/or senior leadership
- Experience with designing and executing strategy-based financial analyses
- Well organized, flexible, and able to manage multiple challenging projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative working style and ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Experience working with financial reporting and financial statements
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to learn new systems quickly
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented and accurate. Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills, along with the ability to work within tight and often conflicting deadlines.
- Must be flexible, show effective judgement, discretion and have the ability to handle confidential financial matters.
- Work effectively in a highly matrixed and decentralized environment with the ability to navigate through ambiguity and demonstrate appreciation and support for diversity, inclusion and belonging in a constantly evolving academic/higher education environment.
Please provide a cover letter and resume in your submission. Budgeted salary for this role based on matching skills, competencies and experience will be between $70,000 - $85,000.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Division of Finance
$59,703.00 - $95,524.33
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Franklin-Building/Experienced-Senior-Accountant-Financial-Analyst---Division-of-Finance_JR00045094-2
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Dean, Macaulay Honors College
City University of New York
Lecturer in Veterinary Technology
University of New Hampshire
Assistant Professor of School Psychology
California State University, Los Angeles, Division of Special Education & Counseling
Senior Educational Program Administrator
University of Connecticut
Academic Specialist in Biology
Lyman Briggs College, Michigan State University