- DEAN OF THE GRADUATE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
- University at Buffalo
- Buffalo, NY
- Mar 26, 2017
University at Buffalo
of the Graduate School of Education
The University at Buffalo (UB) invites inquiries, nominations, and applications for the position of dean of the Graduate School of Education (GSE). A member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) and the largest and most comprehensive public research university in the State University of New York (SUNY) system, UB is an internationally renowned center for academic excellence. Nationally and internationally recognized for its empirical and theoretical scholarship around teaching and learning, human growth and development, and the diverse contexts in which they occur, GSE believes in the power of education to transform lives and societies. The Graduate School of Education is committed to promoting equity and social justice through exceptional research, teaching, and service across its local, national and international communities.
The GSE dean will be a member of the university’s senior leadership team, working with the president, provost, deans and other senior leaders to advance the university’s mission of excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As the chief academic and administrative officer of the school, the dean reports to the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs and is responsible for providing overall leadership to the school to promote academic excellence and advance its national and international prominence in research, education, and engagement.
UB is seeking an accomplished scholar and visionary leader to become the next GSE dean. The ideal candidate will be an individual of integrity, an advocate for the school and the university, a facilitator for interdisciplinary work within the school and across the university, a creative problem solver, and an engaged partner in building and enhancing relationships with the school’s many constituents, including alumni, and the larger community. The Dean will build on the strength of GSE’s faculty as well as GSE’s reputation in the field of online education to increase student enrollments. In the 2017 U.S. News & World Reports ranked GSE as one of the top 10 best online education programs in the nation.
The dean should have substantial leadership experience in a distinguished academic or comparable setting and the capacity to formulate and articulate a shared vision, persuade a wide range of audiences of its value, and engage others in its implementation. He or she will have distinguished academic credentials in the field of education, counseling, educational leadership and/or library and information studies including a record of significant scholarly accomplishment and excellence in teaching and service appropriate to appointment at the rank of full professor at a research university.
In addition, candidates should demonstrate significant capacity for and a clear vision for progress in the following areas:
• Working with faculty to define and articulate the school’s vision, direction, and priorities to further distinguish GSE and enhance its stature, within the university’s strategic plan, UB 2020
• Maintaining the highest standards of quality through ensuring the integrity and clarity of the tenure and promotion processes, and working with faculty under established guidelines
• Promoting increased sponsored research
• Ensuring that programs are in place to nurture students and enhance their opportunities for success
• Reaching deliberative decisions that impacted stakeholders can respect
• Providing resourceful and sound financial, structural and human resources management for the school
• Building upon the school’s strong relationships with alumni, members of the educational profession, community members, state and local government and other external constituencies
• Serving as an enthusiastic and effective advocate for the school and university to internal and external constituencies and widely promoting the accomplishments of faculty, students alumni, and programs
• Devoting substantial effort to alumni engagement and fund-development activities in order to generate additional resources for the school
Applications and nominations should be submitted to www.imsearch.com/6105.
The University at Buffalo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic university community committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. Potential applicants who share this goal, including veterans and individuals with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.
More search results
Senior Research Scientist
Associate Vice President for Finance and Administ…
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Vice President of Information Technology and Chie…
San José State University
Vice President for Enrollment Management
University of St.Thomas
Director, Paul Simon Public Policy Institute
Paul Simon Public Policy Institute