- Acting Instructor - BFA Acting Program, Classical and Heightened Text
- California Institute of the Arts
- Valencia, California
- Mar 7, 2017
Acting Instructor - BFA Acting Program, Classical and Heightened Text
Information & Responsibilities
Acting Instructor – BFA Acting Program, Classical and Heightened Text
California Institute of the Arts, School of Theater
Position Status: Full Time regular faculty
The Acting Program in the CalArts School of Theater seeks applicants for a full time faculty position to begin in the fall of 2017. The Acting Program at CalArts is one of the foremost actor training conservatories in the United States with a specialized curriculum and a shared ethos for rigorous practical training, theoretical inquiry, hands- on production and aesthetic reflection. Dedicated to preparing the artistic leaders of the 21st century, CalArts is committed to experimental practices and approaches to training.
The Acting Instructor will teach acting and performance skills to BFA students - specifically in application to classical and heightened text. This is a multi-faceted position consisting of teaching métier acting courses, mentoring both BFA and MFA acting students in their professional and artistic goals, overseeing students’ involvement in theater school productions and being part of a faculty team that maintains the highest professional standard for training actors.
- Class preparation and grading.
- Fourteen hours per week of classroom instruction.
- Significant student mentoring, providing mentor reports at the end of each year.
- Attending performance faculty and full faculty meetings as scheduled throughout the year.
- Participating in reviews at the end of each semester and providing written evaluations for each of the students.
- Various other duties, as assigned by the Program Director and the Dean’s Office.
The ideal candidate is an artist with a strong professional practice, a firm commitment to teaching, a dedication to working with a culturally, economically and intellectually diverse community of artists, and a demonstrated skill and passion working with classical and heightened text.
The following qualifications are essential for a successful candidate:
- Significant experience with classical and heightened text in a performance and/or teaching context
- Knowledge of a variety of different acting styles as well as a vested interest in experimental performance practices.
- Significant professional experience as an actor or director.
- Two or more years of teaching at the college level, preferred.
- Knowledge of both traditional and innovative approaches to acting and performance.
- An M.F.A. degree is preferred but candidates with significant professional experience and stature are welcome to apply and will be seriously considered.
- Effective leadership and organizational skills.
Applications are due February 23, 2017. Position is open until filled.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
• A letter of application
• A summary of teaching philosophy
• A current curriculum vitae
• A list of 3 professional references
Application materials may be mailed to Mirjana Jokovic, Director of Performance Programs, School of Theater, Attn: Acting Instructor Faculty Search, 24700 McBean Parkway, Valencia, CA 91355 or sent by email to email@example.com.
More search results
Faculty Position in Financial Economics, Tenure T…
Executive Vice President for Inclusion & Human Re…
National Collegiate Athletic Association
Assistant Director for Tours and Training
Ohio University - ADMISSIONS
Vice President for Research
New Mexico State University HSS