- Dean of Faculty
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Terre Haute, IN
- Mar 3, 2017
Dean of Faculty
The mission of Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is to provide our students with the world’s best undergraduate science, engineering, and mathematics education in an environment of individual attention and support.
Since its founding in 1874, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (Terre Haute, IN) has been recognized for providing a highly successful undergraduate science and engineering education that combines academic rigor, a supportive environment, and myriad opportunities for students to apply their learning to real-world problem-solving. Rose-Hulman is seeking a Dean of Faculty who will embrace and champion the Institute’s core strengths and legacy, and who has the vision and leadership capacity to position Rose-Hulman to expand its reach, pioneering the future of STEM education nationally and internationally. The Dean of Faculty will assume office in summer 2017.
The Dean of Faculty reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and meets regularly with the Academic Affairs Leadership Council, which includes the Dean of Cross-Cutting Programs, the associate deans and academic directors, and the registrar. The primary responsibility of the Dean of Faculty, assisted by the department heads, is the smooth and efficient operation of the academic departments and associated faculty and staff and the implementation of the newly approved Academic Master Plan. Recruitment is being assisted by Academic Search, Inc. More information about the position is available in the Leadership Profile at http://www.academic-search.com/sites/default/files/Rose-HulmanDeanProfile.pdf.
The Dean of Faculty is responsible for building and maintaining the quality of the academic departments, constructing and administering their budgets, overseeing the recruitment and evaluation of faculty, encouraging and mentoring the faculty, and working effectively with the rest of the administrative team. Working with this talented team and with institutional colleagues, the Dean will:
- Help launch the newly created Academic Master Plan, ensuring its alignment with the Institute’s mission, vision, shared values, and strategic plan;
- Develop and/or facilitate structures, policies, and operational practices that enable faculty to innovate and collaborate more effectively internally and with external academic institutions, corporate partners, and other constituents;
- Drive continuous improvement of Institute teaching and learning activities and practices that will position the Institute to be at the forefront of STEM education;
- Provide leadership that promotes shared governance and inclusive, transparent decision-making.
Qualifications: Education and Experience
- A doctorate and a record of distinguished teaching, professional development, and service qualifying for a tenured appointment at the rank of full professor in one of the Institute’s academic departments;
- Demonstrated experience or collaboration with engineering programs, as well as the ability to articulate a vision for engineering, math, and science education;
- A history of increasingly responsible academic administrative experience in higher education;
- Demonstrated managerial ability, including experience in data-driven planning, faculty development, budget creation and management, and personnel;
- Demonstrated experience in academic program assessment, managing accreditation processes, and the development and implementation of continuous improvement strategies.
Additionally, the ideal candidate will have:
- Evidence of extensive, positive interactions and collaborations with students;
- Experience in group dynamics and an ability to communicate effectively with individuals from all backgrounds;
- An open, collaborative, flexible leadership style;
- The ability to promote, manage, and adapt to change within a highly creative and dynamic community of scholars;
- Strong commitment to building an educational and institutional environment that is truly inclusive and treats all students, staff, and faculty with dignity and civility.
The Application Process
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. However, only complete applications received by March 15, 2017 can be assured full consideration. As a condition of employment, finalists will have to submit to a confidential background check and submit official, sealed transcripts. All information obtained will be strictly confidential.
Applications/Nominations: Applicants should submit a complete and current curriculum vitae or resume, as well as names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five references, including a note indicating the working relationship of each to the applicant. A cover letter of interest should indicate how the applicant’s qualifications relate to each of the required qualifications, as well as the preferred qualifications of the position. In the letter, the applicant also should include a statement about his or her view of the role of an academic dean, particularly as it relates to the core principles in the Academic Master Plan. This search is being assisted by Academic Search, Inc. and applications should be sent electronically to Rose-HulmanDean@academic-search.com. Requests for confidential conversations with senior consultant Jessica Kozloff may be sent to her directly at email@example.com.
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action Employer.
More search results
Founding Dean, School of Nursing and Health Profe…
York College of Pennsylvania
ASSOCIATE DEAN - MPPIII
San Francisco State University
Chief Information Officer
Arizona State University
Assistant Professor in Teacher Education (with sp…
JobElephant.com - CSU Bakersfield
Assistant Director of Annual Giving, Direct Marke…
University of North Carolina