Dean of the School of Fine Arts
DEAN OF THE SCHOOL OF FINE ARTS - UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA DULUTH
The University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Dean of the School of Fine Arts (http://www.d.umn.edu/sfa). The position of Dean (job code 9311) is a 100% Professional and Administrative appointment (negotiated employee contract, three year term). The salary is competitive and commensurate with credentials and experience.
The Dean is responsible for academic leadership of the School of Fine Arts (SFA), administration of ongoing programs and resources, program development and assessment, promotion and maintenance of effective relationships with the community, development of effective fundraising strategies, and maintenance of productive administrative relationships at UMD and with other units of the University of Minnesota system. The Dean reports directly to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs on the Duluth campus.
The School of Fine Arts consists of the following departments: Art & Design, Music and Theatre. In addition, SFA includes the following non-academic units: Glensheen Historic Estate, Tweed Museum of Art and the Fine Arts Academy. Degree programs offered include 12 undergraduate majors and one graduate degree: the Master of Music (music education or performance). The six units of SFA present hundreds of events each year that serve our students, the entire campus, and the local and regional community. SFA currently enrolls 500 undergraduate and 26 graduate students. Presently there are 38 tenured/tenure-track faculty, 28 term faculty and 32 civil service and professional staff.
The successful candidate will have a record of distinguished teaching, scholarship and/or creative activity appropriate for a tenured faculty appointment within an academic department in the School of Fine Arts. The Dean will be passionately committed to the Mission and Vision of the School of Fine Arts; foster a vibrant academic and intellectual climate; champion multidisciplinary work across campus; exercise creative and consultative leadership; build and sustain student enrollment strategies; recruit students; and take a proactive role in fundraising, development and donor cultivation. The Dean must be able to effectively work in a collective bargaining environment and foster appropriate consultative relationships with faculty, staff and students. It is expected that the Dean will promote equity, inclusivity and social justice as well as develop programs and processes to enhance diversity among faculty, staff and students in the SFA and across campus. The successful candidate will also exhibit an ability to develop external relationships with the public and private sectors in support of SFA’s programs and demonstrate success in fundraising.
- Earned terminal degree in a field within the School of Fine Arts
- Record of teaching, scholarship and/or creative activity and service that meets the qualifications necessary to be tenured at the rank of associate professor in SFA
- Proven record of administrative leadership
- Managerial and budgetary experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Minimum of three years of academic administrative experience above the level of department head
- Record of teaching, scholarship and/or creative activity and service that meets the qualifications necessary to be tenured at the rank of full professor
- Record of creative, consultative leadership
- Record of support for the importance of teaching, advising, scholarship, and/or creative activity
- Demonstrated support of curriculum and program development
- Record of promoting and increasing diversity, inclusivity and social justice
- Record of developing external relationships with the public and private sectors and marketing of the school
- Record of donor cultivation and successful fundraising
- Record of working effectively with a diverse and multidisciplinary unionized faculty, staff, student body, and other units of the University
- Record of successfully building student enrollment
- Record of successful budgetary management, revenue generation and fiduciary responsibility
For a complete Dean of the School of Fine Arts position description and information on the application process, go to http://employment.umn.edu and search for Job Requisition 315216. A complete application must be submitted online and include a (1) Letter of Application expressing interest, availability, experiences and strengths as they relate to the position description and qualifications; (2) Curriculum Vitae; (3) List of References with the contact information for four individuals (name, address, phone number and email address); and (4) Personal Statement detailing the applicant’s affirmative action, equal opportunity and diversity philosophy and accomplishments (Additional Document 1).
References will be contacted for those applicants whose credentials and accomplishments match well with the mission and needs of SFA and UMD.
The successful applicant must submit a transcript of highest degree received and will be subject to a background check.
The search committee will begin review of complete applications on February 20, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2017.
For additional information, contact Dr. Amy B. Hietapelto, Dean of the Labovitz School of Business and Economics, by email: email@example.com
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and educator.
More search results
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Portland State University
Washington University in St. Louis
Term Assistant Professor of Management
George Mason University
Dean of the School of Arts and Letters
College of St. Scholastica
Director of Institutional Compliance
University of North Texas