- Dean of Students
- Lehigh University
Dean of Students
Dean of Students
Exciting Leadership Opportunity at a Premier Research Institution
Lehigh University announces a national search for a dynamic, collaborative, and experienced leader to serve as the next Dean of Students. The Dean is responsible for managing and providing the vision for key areas within the Student Affairs Division. The Dean plays an important role in the life of the University as a visible advocate for students who also manages a large staff and the key roles played by them. The Dean serves as a voice for students, individually and collectively, while retaining a larger view of the University. Collaboration with other members of the University and Bethlehem communities is an essential task in order for the Dean to be successful. The Dean will start at the same time as the new Vice Provost for Student Affairs which provides additional opportunities to examine and build upon a well-regarded Office of the Dean of Students and Student Affairs Division.
The Dean of Students provides leadership, vision, and overall administration for the DOS office including strategic planning, communication, professional development, supervision, policy development, educational program initiatives, and fiscal management for key areas that support students and their learning throughout their university experience. The Dean is responsible for overseeing a large portfolio, and must understand the University as a whole while addressing the day-to-day needs and concerns of students and others within the University community. The Dean must understand, contribute to, and enhance a culture that supports the connection between the students' experiences in and out of the classroom.
Included within the Dean's portfolio are: Campus Living (Residence Life, Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, Student Conduct); departments of Student Development; and Academic Support Services. The Dean works to provide a healthy, safe, and developmental supportive environment for students, and manages, with other staff, the University's response to student incidents and crises. Currently, the Dean directly supervises three Associate Deans, two Directors, and an Administrative Coordinator.
The Dean reports to the Vice Provost for Student Affairs and directs a department that includes 40 professional staff members whose work is supplemented by graduate assistants and undergraduate student staff and student workers. The Dean actively collaborates with other members of the Student Affairs staff as well as with other offices on campus, and serves on University-wide committees.
• Provide a clear and current strategic plan and vision for the departments in the Dean of Students portfolio that supports the goals of the Student Affairs Division and the University
• Inspire and lead staff to develop goals that will enable the vision to be realized
• Supervise the staff within the office and provide the resources necessary for them to be successful in their roles
• Provide leadership and guidance in response to crises, in concert with the Vice Provost for Student Affairs and other appropriate staff, and support students, staff, and families in these situations
• Understand and commit to actively supporting a community that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Build strong relationships with members of the University community, including faculty, alumni and others, in order to collaborate on programs that support student success; expect the same of the staff in the office and support their efforts to do so
• Understand the experiences of Lehigh University students and serve as an advocate for them individually and collectively
• Develop, review, and revise policies within the scope of the department to ensure that they are appropriate; communicate with staff and legal counsel in this process
• Represent the Office of the Dean of Students and the Student Affairs Division at meetings and events and clearly articulate goals and vision
• Manage personnel and budgets effectively
• Master's degree in an appropriate field and 7 or more years of relevant professional work experience within the field of Student Affairs in increasingly advanced and more responsible administrative and supervisory roles; doctoral or other terminal degree in an appropriate field preferred
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build partnerships and collaborate with students, staff, faculty, and administration
• Ability to engage, train, and motivate staff, and to employ their diverse talents in supporting the goals of the Office, Division, and University
• Demonstrated commitment to serving as an advocate for all students and their success
• Experience responding to and managing student incidents and crises
• Strong written and verbal skills that will enable clear communication with all constituencies in the University as well as with the local community
• Substantial staff supervision and administrative experience
• Excellent fiscal management skills and experience
The University has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC, in this search process. Application materials should include a resume/curriculum vitae and a letter of interest and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should read "Lehigh - Dean of Students." A confidential review of applications will begin on February 24, 2017, and will continue until the appointment is made.
Nominations, expressions of interest, and request for confidential conversations about the position prior to application are welcome and should be directed to Dr. Jan Walbert, the K&A senior consultant leading this search, at email@example.com.
Lehigh University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer
CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency