- Director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Lehigh University
- Feb 24, 2017
Director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs
Director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs
Opportunity to Nurture and Challenge Students to Grow
Lehigh University invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs. This important role within the Student Affairs Division is dedicated to supporting students in order for them to succeed at Lehigh and beyond. The Director provides significant leadership and vision to support students and enhance campus discussions related to diversity and inclusion. Students are supported through opportunities to convene to discuss current issues, training workshops, and programming on topics that may challenge them to think about their own culture and how that affects their perception of others both near and far, The Director leads and collaborates with other staff to advise student organizations that represent various groups, and to address issues of broader issues focusing on equity and inclusion.
The Director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs is responsible for developing and implementing the vision, mission, and strategic outcomes for the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) in full partnership with Lehigh's commitment to diversity and inclusion. The Director is a collaborative and visible leader on campus, an advocate, an educator and a primary resource to members of the Lehigh community on questions and issues around multicultural affairs. The work of the Office of Multicultural Affairs is also accomplished through individual support of students, programming, workshops, support groups, and education, and the Director is responsible for ensuring that these activities occur in ways that move the mission of the office forward through effective budget and office management.
The Director reports to the Vice Provost for Student Affairs and supervises an assistant director, an office coordinator, graduate assistants, and student workers. The Director works collaboratively with other members of the Student Affairs staff as well as with other persons and offices on and off campus, and serves on University-wide committees.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide clear vision and direction for the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) in fulfilling its mission through ongoing and long-term strategic planning
• Supervise and provide leadership to the OMA staff
• Engage with students served by the OMA and provide support and guidance to them as they become leaders and strive to be academically and personally successful
• Ensure that educational programs and opportunities are provided that enable all students to reflect on their cultural identities and those of others
• Serve as an advocate for, and advisor to, individual students and student groups
• Build strong partnerships with other staff and offices within and outside of Student Affairs in order to support equity and inclusion efforts; work in concert with the Vice President for Equity and Community to ensure that programming and other efforts are consistent with overarching university goals related to diversity and inclusion
• Assist in the development and implementation of training for student groups, volunteers and para-professionals (residence life and orientation staff, etc.)
• Work closely and collaboratively with other Student Affairs advocacy and equity units (Women's Center and Pride Center) to enhance campus climate for students
• Manage the physical facility operated by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and manage day-to-day operations of the Office
• Oversee and manage budgets effectively and responsibly
• Continually assess efforts of the OMA in order to maximize effect on campus and to use resources in the best manner
• Promote student learning and research regarding topics related to diversity
• Partner closely with the Lehigh University Summer Scholars Institute (LUSSI) and the cohorts of students associated with the institute
• Master's degree in an appropriate field and 3 or more years of relevant professional work experience
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build partnerships and collaborate with students, staff, faculty, and administration
• Demonstrated appreciation for students and dedication to their success
• Excellent communication skills both in person and in writing with all members of the University community
• Experience organizing and providing programming for all students on topics included within the scope of the position
• Strong experience with staff supervision and administrative priorities including managing budgets
• Proven ability to develop and share a vision for strengthening the community's commitment to equity, inclusion, diversity, and multiculturalism
• Demonstrated experience as an advocate for individual students and for the success of students from historically underrepresented groups
• Understanding of the culture of a selective research university
The University has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC, in this search process. Application materials should include a resume/curriculum vitae and a letter of interest and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should read "Lehigh – Director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs" A confidential review of applications will begin on February 20, 2017, and will continue until the appointment is made.
Nominations, expressions of interest, and requests for confidential conversations about the position prior to application are welcome and should be directed to Dr. Jan Walbert, the K&A senior consultant leading this search, at email@example.com.
Lehigh University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer
CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency