Associate Dean of Students
Title: Associate Dean of Students
Priority Date: 03/31/2017
Location: Internal & External
Purpose of Position
The Associate Dean of Students is a passionate advocate for students, a visionary leader, strategic thinker, collaborator, educator, and administrator. As a member of the Division of Student Affairs senior leadership team, the Associate Dean of Students reports to the Vice President of Student Affairs and provides vision, leadership, and direction in the creation and implementation of a holistic developmental curriculum that intentionally and meaningfully engages students from matriculation through graduation.
• Provide strategic vision and oversight for a comprehensive leadership development and education program and lead efforts in developing and formulating policies, procedures, and programmatic innovations across the areas of Campus Activities and Operations, including risk management protocols, student organization advising and programming, event management, and campus center operations
• Supervise the Director of Campus Activities and Operations and indirectly supervise seven other professional and paraprofessional staff members
• Serve as a senior member of the division, by providing strategic, visionary leadership in furthering the mission of the division
• Serve as the division’s assessment officer and as a Deputy Title IX Coordinator
• The Associate Dean of Students plans and implements family outreach programs and initiatives in collaboration with Orientation Programs
• Develop appropriate assessment tools to inform effectiveness of programs and areas of creation or improvement
• Serve on the Campus Response Team and respond to student concerns and emergency situations, as needed
• Master’s degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs Administration, or Counseling required, Terminal degree Preferred
• 5-8 years of prior experience within student affairs, crisis response, advising and program planning; experience with sexual assault prevention and conduct preferred
• Strong professional background in student affairs, best practices, policies, and legal issues; a passion for providing support and opportunities for students
• Demonstrated understanding of student development and leadership theories
• Ability to collaboratively lead strategic planning initiatives as well as efforts to build new programs and/or refine and improve existing programs
• Experience working in the effective management and allocation of resources
• Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
• Knowledge of student affairs assessment tools and protocols
• Strong commitment to diversity and social justice with an understanding of how to advance a culture that is welcoming and inclusive
• Ability to inspire, supervise, mentor, and support staff
• Experience and/or knowledge of small, residential liberal arts colleges
The start date for this opportunity is negotiable, ideally no later than summer 2017. For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF document through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage at:
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.