- Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs
- Augusta University
- Augusta, Georgia
- Feb 10, 2017
Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs
Augusta University (AU) is seeking an outstanding academic leader to serve as its next Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs (VPAFA). The position reports directly to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost. The VPAFA provides strategic and operational leadership that advances Augusta University’s presence and stature among the nation’s premier public research universities to become a destination of choice for students, faculty, and staff.
The Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs is a dynamic, forward-thinking academic leader with strong personal and professional integrity who will work closely with the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, deans, and other Vice Presidents to develop and advance the strategic academic mission of Augusta University. The VPAFA works closely and collaboratively with the deans and other senior leaders to focus on the delivery of quality academic programs, faculty affairs, the libraries, registrar’s office, and student success particularly as it relates to undergraduate education. The VPAFA collaborates with the Vice President for Academic Planning and Strategic Initiatives to ensure the university maintains a robust portfolio of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. The VPAFA is also expected to provide leadership of faculty development initiatives and oversight of promotion and tenure. In collaboration with other senior leadership, the VPAFA will help to oversee the development and implementation of academic policy and procedures consistent with those of the University System of Georgia Board of Regents and the mission of Augusta University and is a key leader at Augusta University.
The VPAFA is responsible for leading efforts to ensure the continued quality of academic programs, increase undergraduate student retention, progression, and on-time graduation while building our undergraduate academic reputation to the same level of academic distinction as our graduate and professional programs. She/he will lead the institution to significantly increase student retention and graduation rates through a collaborative process with students, faculty, and staff. This individual working with the deans is responsible for the development, implementation, and advancement of procedures and protocols that effectively encourage students to identify programs that best match their individual talents, strengths, and personal interests.
Augusta University seeks an accomplished academic executive who has demonstrated the ability to lead faculty, staff, and students on an upward trajectory to realize the university’s potential related to academic success, research and scholarship, and growth. The VPAFA must think strategically, engage stakeholders to facilitate collaboration and cooperation, execute plans deliberately, and achieve success. This visionary leader will have driven change effectively while embodying the AU values of collegiality, compassion, excellence, inclusivity, integrity, and leadership. The ideal candidate will also possess:
- A terminal degree appropriate to her/his discipline;
- Five or more years of significant academic administrative experience at the college or institutional level;
- Demonstrated success fostering collaboration with faculty and academic units both vertically and horizontally;
- Strong mentorship experience and proven ability to grow and develop others;
- Proven record of overseeing/managing effective teaching and scholarship excellence;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of different constituents coupled with strong emotional intelligence;
- Past experience driving noteworthy change while simultaneously embodying the Augusta University values of collegiality, compassion, excellence, inclusivity, integrity, and leadership;
- Knowledge of the important role the libraries play in contributing to faculty research and student success;
- Understanding of the critical role of experiential learning and how to most effectively promote student participation and success;
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the development of online and technology enhanced courses and programs;
- Appreciation for the importance of shared governance and the ability to interface constructively with the faculty senate and other campus leaders;
- Understanding of matters related to academic planning, student success, and future directions in instructional delivery;
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and execute plans effectively and deliberately to achieve success;
- Proven ability to think strategically and engage stakeholders to facilitate collaboration and cooperation;
- Experience with strategy development and the implementation of a university’s strategic plan.
- Proven support of diversity and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students; and
- Commitment to excellence both professionally and personally with the highest level of integrity.
Challenges and Opportunities
Augusta University has undergone a significant positive transformation over the past five years and has a strong foundation for the future. The Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs will:
Champion the academic mission of AU, enhance the quality of academic programs and promote brand recognition
Augusta University is a growing, research intensive university. The VPAFA will ensure the quality of all academic programmatic offerings consistent with our mission and of being one of only four public research universities in the state of Georgia. In conjunction with the academic leadership team of deans, department chairs and program directors and the Vice President of Communications & Marketing, the VPAFA will promote the recognition of AU’s academic program offerings by leading the development of catalog, web, and marketing materials that reflect our strong program array and our academic programs of excellence. The VPAFA will work collaboratively with the Vice President of Academic Planning and Strategic Initiatives to develop a rich portfolio of academic programs relevant to the 21st century.
Increase student retention and success
The VPAFA is responsible for designing and leading efforts to improve student achievement and success through a focus on retention and persistence, along with progression and graduation of students. This, along with innovative admissions programs that promote the appropriate selectivity among applicants, will contribute to the growth in enrollment. In conjunction with the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs, the VPAFA will evaluate and recommend appropriate admissions standards and alternative admission programs such as summer bridge programs, deferred admission, and pre-collegiate pipeline experiences that are compatible with the university’s mission, student success goals and initiatives, and academic standards.
Emphasize faculty development and diversity
The VPAFA oversees faculty development and the management of faculty career pathways including promotion and tenure. The VPAFA develops, implements, and modifies policies, procedures, and systems that contribute to improved faculty development and mentorship to promote experiential learning experiences for students and increased productivity in research and scholarship.
Align academic and faculty affairs with the forthcoming strategic plan
Augusta University is in the preliminary stages of a new strategic planning process which is set for completion late 2017. Under the direction of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, the VPAFA will ensure units within faculty and academic affairs align planned initiatives with the new strategic plan and its four focus areas of education, research, clinical, and outreach. More information on the strategic planning project can be found at: http://www.augusta.edu/about/planning/2017_strategic_planning_process.
The Search Committee invites applications, inquiries, and nominations for this position. Applications should be accompanied by a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of at least five professional references. Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled and review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit materials (electronic submissions preferred) prior to March 3, 2017 to the search firm assisting Augusta University.
Laurie C. Wilder, President
Jacob C. Anderson, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900 | Atlanta, GA 30328
(770) 804-1996 x 111
Augusta University, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an equal opportunity educational institution and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
More search results
Landscape Planning Associate
University of Oregon
Academic Advising Manager
University of Northern Iowa
Assistant Professor: Stage Director - Theatre for…
SDSU School of Theatre, Television, and Film
Thomas Edison State University
Assistant Vice Provost of Admissions
University of Cincinnati