- Dean of the School of Art and Design
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- New York, NY
- Feb 10, 2017
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), a part of the State University of New York (SUNY), is seeking applications and nominations for their next Dean of the School of Art and Design.
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace. With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices. For more information, visit http://www.fitnyc.edu/.
FIT's mission is to prepare students for professional excellence in design and business through rigorous and adaptable academic programs, experiential learning and innovative partnerships. A premier public institution in New York City, FIT fosters creativity, career focus, and a global perspective and educates its students to embrace inclusiveness, sustainability and a sense of community.
The Fashion Institute of Technology seeks a charismatic visionary leader to serve as its new Dean of the School of Art and Design. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced leader who has connections across and a deep knowledge of the fashion, art and design industries, and a thorough understanding of the complexities and nuances of an academic institution. The new Dean will be committed to FIT's overall mission to guide the academic and strategic vision of the School of Art and Design. The Dean will be a strong leader and advocate who supports faculty initiatives, fosters collaboration among disciplines, and works in partnership with faculty and other deans to achieve a shared vision for the School. This professional will be an engaged collaborator on campus to build bridges and relationships across the School and FIT to move the academic mission forward.
Overseeing 17 programs in the School of Art and Design, the Dean serves as academic leader to over 4,000 students and 250 faculty. Serving as the face of FIT to the external community and to industry, this individual will have the capacity to effectively operate in both worlds as an promoter of FIT to create, develop, and enhance meaningful relationships and partnerships. This individual will have a passion for and expertise in art and design, and will be able to motivate and inspire faculty to nurture, mentor, and empower students for industry and future success. Along with the senior administrative and academic leaders at FIT, this Dean will continue to elevate FIT's brand globally as one of the top academic leaders in the fields of fashion, art and design.
The Dean is a member of the Deans Council, and serves on numerous College-wide committees, such as the Enrollment Management Committee and the Strategic Planning Council. Reporting to the Vice-President for Academic Affairs, the Dean leads the School of Art and Design and serves as its visionary, instilling an entrepreneurial mindset, and is responsible for:
- Providing leadership for the School of Art and Design to advance the college's mission, vision, and strategic plan; Overseeing and guiding the development and supervision of courses and degree offerings in the school, promoting instructional innovation, and ensuring compliance with academic and accreditation standards and college requirements and policies; Maintaining and enhancing academic standards.
- Promoting collaborative relations and communications with the school faculty, department chairs and staff, other academic and administrative units, and external partners; Representing the School in a wide range of academic, professional, technological and industry committees and communities.
- Developing and promoting activities that support a large and diverse faculty and balancing the needs of the school and departments within the framework of the college's strategic plan and budgetary constraints, as well as initiating and coordinating school activities with the Vice Identifying international collaborations and initiatives that best support the goals of the school; Developing and overseeing the budget and management of day-to-day operations including supervision of the Office of the Dean personnel, and coordinating and facilitating the administrative actions of Departmental Chairs.
- Guiding and assisting in the process of hiring, evaluating, developing, and retaining faculty and staff; Promoting excellence in faculty teaching, service, professional growth/development, and academic achievement.
- Overseeing all School exhibitions and special events including the high profile BFA Fashion.
The Dean of the School of Art and Design will be a seasoned and accomplished academic administrator in the field of art and design with a Master's degree in a discipline appropriate to the School. The ideal candidate will have the following competencies and personal characteristics:
- Passion for the Mission and Industry Expertise
- Strategic Academic Leadership
- Operational Expertise and Management Experience
- Exceptional Communication
- Relationship Builder and Collaborator
The Fashion of Institute of Technology has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. This search is being led by Michelle R.S. Bonoan and Trisha Sutrisno.
Michelle R.S. Bonoan
Vice President, Executive Search
Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here: https://koyapartners.com/search/dean-of-the-school-of-art-and-design/, and for consideration, please submit the following documents online to https://fitnyc.interviewexchange.com/
- Cover letter
- A list of three (3) professional references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Please note successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged.
More search results
CLINICAL ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF NUTRITION
University of New Hampshire
Director, The McDermond Center for Management and…
Vice President for Enrollment
Assistant Professor in Journalism
University of Wisconsin Whitewater
Dean, College of Professional Education
Texas Woman’s University