Chief Diversity Officer
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Las Vegas, Nevada
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) invites nominations, expressions of interest, and applications for the position of Chief Diversity Officer (CDO).
UNIVERSITY: UNLV is a doctoral-degree-granting institution of approximately 29,000 students and more than 3,000 faculty and staff that is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a research university with high research activity. UNLV offers a broad range of respected academic programs and is on a path to join the top tier of national public research universities. The university's Top Tier strategic plan has five pathways goals, each of which is tied to an overall goal of diversity, equity and inclusion. The university is committed to recruiting and retaining top students and faculty; educating the region's diversifying population and workforce; driving economic activity through increased research and community partnerships; and, creating an academic health center for Southern Nevada that includes the launch of a new UNLV School of Medicine. UNLV is Southern Nevada's premier metropolitan research university and was recently designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). UNLV is also a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI). The University is located on a 332-acre main campus and two satellite campuses in Southern Nevada. For more information, visit us online at: http://www.unlv.edu.
The Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) will report to the Executive Vice President and Provost and will be a member of the President's Cabinet. The incumbent will serve as the senior administrator responsible for leading a collaborative effort toward the university producing measurable results in terms of furthering the diversity of the campus; and, with making progress toward meeting the university's goal of being an inclusive community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. To meet these goals, the CDO will help the campus develop innovative efforts to recruit and retain high quality faculty, students and staff; develop measures of accountability through collaborative teamwork with the university academic and administrative faculty; and, provide administrative leadership in order to ensure that UNLV's commitment to diversity is reflected in results at all levels of the university.
The CDO must have a passion for building an inclusive community that maximizes the benefits of a multicultural perspective and respects the university community's First Amendment and academic freedoms. In addition to being results-oriented, the successful candidate will be an effective communicator and collaborator who is creative, energetic, inspirational, and resourceful in generating enthusiasm and support for the university's diversity strategic plan and goals. The incumbent must have demonstrated commitment to diversity and also have a record that reflects his/her ability to forge constructive relationships with all campus constituents by building consensus across organizational units. The incumbent must also be able to establish positive relationships with the university's community partners and external stakeholders.
UNLV seeks candidates whose education, perspectives, and personal and professional experiences have together prepared them to serve as an effective and collaborative leader of the University's efforts to create a more equitable and inclusive environment. Minimum qualifications include:
- Ph.D. or other terminal degree, however exceptional candidates with a Master's degree and substantial experience will be considered;
- At least three years of experience facilitating and leading diversity/ inclusion efforts, preferably in a higher education setting;
- The interpersonal strengths of an open-minded, strategic, and creative thinker and active listener who can mediate diverse opinions to address shared needs;
- Demonstrated track record (and deep commitment to) developing effective diversity and inclusion initiatives;
- Excellent track record in managing change along with proven experience as an organizational leader and program builder, specifically around initiatives that promote diversity, equity, access and inclusion in a professional environment;
- Demonstrated decision-making and administrative skills;
- Ability to understand the needs and expectations of the university by working collaboratively with students, faculty, staff, administrators and community partners and stakeholders;
- Thorough knowledge regarding research and scholarships addressing campus diversity, its benefits, and the conditions that must be in place to achieve those benefits;
- A record of leading institutional initiatives, building programs, and promoting diversity in a complex organizational setting;
- Demonstrated skills with collecting and using data to assess programs and increase shared accountability;
- The communication and conflict-resolution skills needed to navigate politically-charged situations to resolve problems, build consensus, and reconcile competing interests.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit a letter of interest, a detailed resume listing qualifications and experience, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references. Submission of materials via e-mail is strongly encouraged. Nomination letters should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. All nominations and applications will be handled in confidence.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner or Lina Woo, Principal
Storbeck / Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
Refer to code “UNLV-CDO” in subject line
UNLV is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer Committed to Achieving Excellence Through Diversity.
More search results
Business Systems Project Manager
University of California, Santa Barbara
DIRECTOR - RESIDENTIAL AND HOSPITALITY SERVICES
Lecturer in Physics/Astronomy at Texas Christian …
Texas Christian University
DEAN, VIRGINIA TECH CARILION SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Associate Vice President and Chief Information Of…
Florida State University