Assistant Professor – Graphic Design
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (VCUarts)
- Richmond, VA
Assistant Professor – Graphic Design
Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (VCUarts)
Department of Graphic Design
This full-time, 9-month position is at the rank of Assistant Professor, is non-tenure eligible (term), and begins August 16, 2022. More than one hire could be selected from this announcement.
Application Deadline: For best consideration, applications are due Friday, January 14, 2022.
The Department of Graphic Design (https://arts.vcu.edu/academics/departments/graphic-design/) invites applications from collaboration-minded colleagues with qualifications, experience, and demonstrated strengths across design theory, criticism, and research. Strong candidates will be informed by enthusiastic studio practice and well versed in concepts driving graphic design research, critique, and speculative production.
This is a non-tenure eligible (term) faculty position. Term faculty are eligible for promotion in academic rank, and are valued for their academic, professional, and creative practice/scholarly contributions in their specific area of expertise. The primary responsibilities of this opportunity are teaching so we seek to hire faculty who stand out with respect to effectiveness in teaching and engagement with students.
· Terminal degree in design or design related field
· Strong record of teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level
· Well-versed in the concepts driving graphic design research, critique, and speculative production
· Evidence of community engagement and collaborative practices
· Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment and commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
- Demonstrable interest in developing productive connections across creative disciplines
- Strong collaboration skills, and demonstrate enthusiasm toward teaching and working with faculty, staff and students within the university; and to building and maintaining professional relationships outside of the university on the program’s behalf
- Background in the areas of race, decolonization, post-coloniality, and cultural literacy, as well as in the praxis of design justice. We are looking for someone who has an interest in expanding pedagogy to address the systemic structures of power that continue to shape our society
· Academic, research and/or professional experiences at urban research universities, Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) or Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs)
The full position announcement and application instructions can be found here:
Only electronic applications submitted via the VCU Jobs Website will be accepted. For best consideration, completed applications are due by Friday, January 14, 2022.
Ranked by US News & World Report as a top-five arts and design school, VCUarts (arts.vcu.edu) includes over 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students with nationally recognized programs in design, visual and performing arts, and has an annual budget of $38 million and an endowment of more than $13.5 million. Students are taught by over 175 full-time teaching and research faculty members and the school is supported by over 50 staff members that assist in daily processes. The School includes two campuses; one in Richmond and one in Doha, Qatar. The Richmond campus is located on the university’s 75-acre Monroe Park campus situated in the city’s historic Fan District. Ultimately, the work of the School of the Arts extends globally with partnerships throughout the world and across fields as diverse as the humanities, health care and business.
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.