Dean of the School of Health Sciences
- CUNY College of Staten Island
- Staten Island, NY
Dean of the School of Health Sciences
Job ID: 16030
Location: College of Staten Island
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The College of Staten Island (CSI), a comprehensive senior college of The City University of New York, seeks an experienced, creative, and collaborative leader to assume the position of Dean of the School of Health Sciences.
About the College of Staten Island:
The College of Staten Island (CSI) is a City University of New York (CUNY) senior College organized around two academic divisions and three schools, with over 14,000 students. CSI offers a broad range of academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences, and in several professional areas. The College awards associate's, bachelor's, master's and clinical doctoral degrees, and in collaboration with The CUNY Graduate Center, numerous Ph.D. degrees. CSI's internationally recognized faculty passionately engage in scholarly and artistic activities, and together with a strong professional staff, lead students through transformational learning experiences both inside and outside of the classroom. The College is situated on a 204-acre site, has recently incorporated a residential component, and is currently engaging in capital expansion. It is a hub of intellectual and artistic activity and a community partner and source of economic impact and job creation for the greater Staten Island area.
The Dean is the strategic and operational leader of the School of Health Sciences and provides administrative leadership for its undergraduate and graduate programs. The School currently includes the departments of Nursing (which offers the Doctor of Nursing Practice [DNP] degree and participates in the CUNY Graduate Center PhD in Nursing Science program), Physical Therapy (which offers the Doctorate in Physical Therapy [DPT] degree), and the department of Social Work. The Dean reports to and assists the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and serves as a member of the Deans’ Council. S/he provides support and guidance for the department chairs and higher education officers in the School.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
-Support the mission, vision, and goals of CUNY, the College, and the School of Health Sciences.
-Contribute to the College’s pursuit toward national prominence
-Oversee strategic planning for the School, directing plans for growth of new programs and courses to serve emerging community needs
- Provide leadership, support, and participate in the solicitation of external funding for research in the Health Sciences and/or Human Services
- Manage the financial resources of the School through effective budget planning and the assessment and management of resource allocations to support programs of high quality
-Pursue and develop collaborative partnership activities with the health care provider, human services, and policy making communities locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally
-Serve on community committees, councils, and boards to represent the School and the College in the community
-Support programs in meeting requirements for, and maintaining, discipline specific accreditation
-Provide support and guidance to the department chairs and higher education officers in the School
- Support faculty in their pursuit of high-quality teaching, research, creative and professional activities, and advocate for appropriate resources
-Promote instructional excellence through support for scholarly endeavors, leadership of curriculum development and student success initiatives, and oversight of program reviews and regular outcomes-based assessment
-Promote student success through College-wide and departmental specific activities, policies, and procedures
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
The successful candidate will have:
- An earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
- A record of academic achievement (scholarly research, publications, and teaching) requisite for a tenured senior faculty appointment to a department in the School of Health Sciences; rank of full professor preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in an academic setting including a record of effective strategic and evidence-based decision-making and problem solving within an academic institution over an extended period of time.
- A record of proven leadership and administrative experience in the Health Sciences and/or Human Services, including successful experience with national accreditation processes.
- Awareness of and engagement with new technologies (information technology and technologies used in communication) and their most up to date applications in Health Sciences and/or Human Services.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to a multicultural student body and service to the urban community.
- Exceptional oral, written, interpersonal communication, and organizational skills.
In addition, the following attributes are strongly preferred:
- Demonstrated knowledge of public policy related to the Health Sciences and/or Human Services.
- Demonstrated engagement with and success in obtaining federal, state, and private grants.
- Experience in fiscal affairs, faculty and staff development, and promoting university and community relations.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, and implement new academic programs.
- Demonstrated accomplishments in innovative collaborations with public and private community partners.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please go to www.cuny.edu; select "Employment", "Search Job Listings," "More Options to Search for CUNY Jobs," then enter the Job ID# in the "Job Opening ID" field. Cover letter, resume and any additional supporting documents for candidacy must be submitted as one file.
February 28, 2017; with review of applications to begin February 1, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
More search results
Southern Methodist University Marketing Faculty P…
Southern Methodist University - Cox School of Business
DEAN, COLLEGE OF GRADUATE STUDIES AND RESEARCH
Dean of the College of Public Health
University of Georgia
LEADERSHIP GIFTS OFFICER
Missouri State University