Curator-FL Environmental & Natural History Collection (FLENH)
- University of South Florida
- Tampa, FL
- starting at $55,000 annually
Curator-FL Environmental & Natural History Collection (FLENH)
USF Libraries, Tampa campus
Full-Time, Non-Tenure Track
Salary and Rank: Commensurate with experience, starting at $55,000 annually
The USF Libraries
The USF Libraries—with locations in Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Sarasota--is transforming libraries and the way they interact with patrons by reinventing our service to research faculty and students, becoming a sresearchers, and many of our collections are online and available worldwide. Being a part of the USF Libraries means being a part of a vibrant, creative and forward-thinking organization.
The USF Libraries celebrates diversity and inclusive excellence in alignment with the University's Principles of Community. We believe our future success as an institution requires that we attract and retain a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. All job decisions at USF are made without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.”
The University of South Florida (USF) Libraries seeks a dynamic, self-motivated, and team-oriented professional to serve as Curator of the Florida Environment & Natural History (FLENH) Collection. The FLENH meta-collection includes both physical and digital collections of historical and contemporary resources documenting environmental change in and adjacent to the state of Florida. It comprises archival materials, rare books, rare maps, data sets, oral histories, and a wealth of complementary collections maintained across the USF Libraries Special Collections and made available through the collection’s website.
Under the direction of the Director, Special Collections, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating, enhancing, growing, and sustaining the FLENH through research and publication, embedded curricula, exhibitions, and the application of innovative technologies. An energetic and enthusiastic professional with experience acquiring, using, and/or promoting scientific research collections will lead this strategic collecting area by collaborating with and supervising personnel on the Tampa campus and collaborating with key faculty and librarians across the Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Sarasota-Manatee campuses. Candidates who are invested in the success of all communities developing and using special collections resources devoted to Florida’s environment are actively sought. This is a 12-month, non-tenure track, library faculty position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, direct, manage, and set strategic priorities and goals for the acquisition, organization, display, digitization, preservation, promotion, and use of the FLENH collection in alignment with the USF Libraries’ Strategic Directions.
- Work collaboratively to identify and engage both individual and institutional donors of materials. Identify sources of external funding and direct the maintenance and expenditure of endowment accounts and/or collection budgets.
- Direct staff, volunteers, student assistants, and/or interns engaged in the organization, description, and preservation of materials in the collection.
- Work collaboratively across units and departments to enhance and expand access to FLENH resources, including preparation of promotional materials.
- Establish processes for prioritizing, ingesting, reviewing, and making available scientific data sets from both existing and new collections.
- Work with the Metadata Team to determine appropriate schema for relevant metadata and provide item and collection descriptions.
- Establish an inclusive vision for the FLENH by fostering diverse and culturally rich collections.
- Contextualize and facilitate use of existing and new collections to support research and instruction using FLENH resources in the sciences and humanities.
- Grow and advance the Libraries’ Florida Environment & Natural History Portal.
- Continuously assess the FLENH program and report on activities relative to the collection, including budget and impact measures.
- Communicate with external institutions/organizations such as libraries, vendors/dealers, or collectors to address their requests related to the collection(s).
- Maintain an active program of professional development, scholarship, and service in areas of relevant expertise. Engage in research and peer-reviewed publications as required for promotion.
Qualifications (Education and Experience)
- PhD in a relevant field, such as Conservation Biology, Environmental Science, Geosciences, or Marine Science; OR a Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program in library and/or information science with an undergraduate degree or considerable experience serving a relevant discipline.
- Two years of librarian, curatorial, research, or academic experience with responsibility for at least one of the following: acquiring, maintaining, or facilitating access to research collections and materials; lecturing.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and coordinate projects and personnel in a collaborative team environment.
- Evidence of professional growth through publication, association activities, and/or other contributions to the field.
- Strong commitment to interdisciplinary education, research, and outreach.
- Demonstrated record of innovation in developing, implementing, or promoting library collections and services.
- Substantial experience creating, analyzing, or using scientific data sets.
- Experience designing physical or online displays and exhibits.
- Experience with physical and digital archives or special collections.
- Ability to build and maintain a positive workplace culture, fostering and contributing to an environment of diversity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
Job Opening Number: 29177
Posting Date: 11/09/2021
Posting End Date: 01/28/2022
How To Apply
Apply online at Careers@usf.edu and searching for Job #29177, completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
The University of South Florida does not discriminate on the basis of sex and prohibits sexual harassment. Any person may report sex discrimination, including sexual harassment (whether or not the person reporting is the person alleged to be the victim of conduct that could constitute sex discrimination or sexual harassment), in person, by mail, by telephone, or by electronic mail, using the contact information listed for the Title IX Coordinator. Reports may be made at any time either online or directly to the University's Title IX Coordinator.
Campus map and location overview: USF - Tampa Campus
The University of South Florida is a high-impact global research university dedicated to student success. Over the past 10 years, no other public university in the country has risen faster in U.S. News and World Report's national university rankings than USF. Serving more than 50,000 students on campuses in Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee, USF is designated as a Preeminent State Research University by the Florida Board of Governors, placing it in the most elite category among the state's 12 public universities. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF
With more than 16,000 employees at USF, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.
More search results
Assistant Professor, Theatre Management
School of Theatre, Florida State University
Senior Associate Vice President for Enrollment Ma…
University of Southern Mississippi
Vice-Principal, Enrolment Management
Upper Canada College
Assistant/Associate Professor - Cyber Leadership …
Dakota State Univeristy
Vice President for Inclusive Excellence
The Ohio State University