Assistant Professor of Marine Biology, Tenure Track
- SUNY Maritime College
- Bronx, NY
Assistant Professor of Marine Biology, Tenure Track
Category: Faculty Positions
Locations: Bronx, NY
Closes: Open Until Filled
Position ID: 139109
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
SUNY Maritime College invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Marine Biology. The Science Department is a multidisciplinary department with a major in marine environmental science. The marine biologist would primarily teach undergraduate introductory biology lecture and laboratory and additional marine environmental science classes as needed for Bachelor of Science Students. The department prides itself on having a collaborative culture that emphasizes pedagogical excellence. The typical teaching load for this position will be fourteen contact hours per semester with small class sizes. Typical students are majoring in engineering, marine transportation, marine environmental science, international transportation and trade, or maritime studies, with the majority simultaneously pursuing a U.S. Coast Guard license.
Maritime College is committed to further strengthening its inclusive campus community, one that comprises diverse faculty, students, and staff. The Science Department values a multiplicity of identities and recognizes that knowledge is best generated , disseminated, and taught when people of diverse backgrounds and experiences engage with each other in a mutually respectful way. We actively seek applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, and members of racialized and/or minoritized groups.
Description of Duties:
- Teach courses in biology and marine environmental science at the undergraduate level (12-14 hours per semester)
- Participate in program curriculum development and assessment
- Maintain office hours for assisting students
- Engage in scholarly activities (e.g. including, but not limited to grant supported research, undergraduate research mentorship, pedagogy, research)
- Enhance field, laboratory, and hands-on teaching activities in marine biology and/or marine science
- Supervise student internships
- University service, including participation on committees, recruitment and student advising
- PhD in Biological Sciences (earned on or before August 1, 2022)
- Previous experience teaching undergraduate biology classes at the college level
- Ability to teach introductory and upper-level undergraduate courses in biology and marine environmental science as well as introductory courses in chemistry
- Strong pedagogical and communications skills
- Interest in developing undergraduate research opportunities
- Interest in community outreach, STEM initiations and/or K-12 science education
- Experience teaching online
Classification/Salary Range: The Assistant Professor of Marine Biology is a tenure-track, academic year United University Professions (UUP, unionized) Position. The anticipated salary for the position is $65,000 - $70,000 with an outstanding benefits package (for additional information please see the UUP Benefit Summary). Review of applications to commence immediately and will end when position is filled.
Special Notes: This is a 10-Month academic year appointment UUP position. Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Expenses for Interview and relocation are not reimbursed. Hiring is dependent upon position availability.
Budget Title: Assistant Professor - 10 Months
Local Title: Assistant Professor of Marine Biology
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474- 6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu/university-police
- Persons interested in the position should apply electronically.
Applicants are asked to submit:
- Cover letter
- A statement regarding their teaching philosophy, a statement discussing their scholarship, as well as a statement addressing how their past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion will advance Maritime's commitment to justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Applicants must also submit the names and contact information for three references
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: https://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action.
More search results
Assistant Professor of International and Intercul…
Stephen H. Hoffman Professorship in Modern Hebrew…
Case Western Reserve University
Assistant Professor of Allied Health
The University of Tampa
Computer Science Professor, Tenured / Tenure Trac…
NYU Abu Dhabi
Chair, Department of Computer Science
Stevens Institute of Technology