Associate Director of Corporation & Foundation Relations
- George Mason University
- Fairfax, VA
Associate Director of Corporation & Foundation Relations
The George Mason University Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations invites applications for the position of Associate Director of Corporation & Foundation Relations. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Corporation & Foundation Relations, The Associate Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations conducts significant discovery work to build a portfolio that will include corporations and foundations capable of making major gifts to George Mason University.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Department:
The Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations is responsible for all aspects of fundraising for George Mason University which includes the successful discovery, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all donors. Advancement’s mission is to build strong, lifelong relationships with George Mason University’s alumni and constituents, while matching their philanthropic interests with the university’s aspirations and priorities. The division is committed to serving the needs of the university, our alumni, and the greater community by providing access to quality education and lifelong learning. Respect, service, integrity, collaboration, diversity, transparency, and creativity are the values that guide our work and culture.
The Associate Director of Corporation & Foundation Relations is a key member of George Mason University’s Corporate and Foundation Relations philanthropy program. The Associate Director will refine and maintain systems for managing CFR prospect research requests, grant deadlines, proposal submissions, grant and stewardship reports, internal RFPs for limited submission opportunities, and quality standards for proposals submitted to Mason’s CFR prospects. Works with the Assistant Vice President of Corporation & Foundation Relations and other CFR staff to provide service and support for school/unit development colleagues, faculty, deans, unit directors, volunteers, administration, and staff to identify and solicit corporate and foundation support for the strategic university and academic-unit priorities.
As directed by the Assistant Vice President of Corporation & Foundation Relations
- Generates, brokers, and helps develop CFR proposals for funding for university priorities, working in collaboration with CFR team members, school/unit advancement colleagues, university leaders, faculty, staff, and volunteers;
- Focuses on securing gifts/charitable grants of five figures or more. CFR portfolio will focus on identification of new CFR prospects and five-figure level, centrally-managed corporations and foundations;
- Achieves or surpasses fundraising metrics set by Advancement, to include expectations regarding dollars raised, asks, and visits;
- Refines and maintains systems for managing CFR prospect research requests, grant deadlines, proposal submissions, grant and stewardship reports, internal RFPs for limited submission opportunities, and quality standards for proposals submitted to Mason’s CFR prospects;
- Plays a hands-on role in researching potential funders, reviewing and editing complex proposals, letters, and briefings, and coordinating the submission and tracking of proposals, subsequent funds, and reports on behalf of GMU’s schools and units;
- Assists in the development and shaping of programmatic project ideas for funding consideration with internal and external constituents. This may include assisting in the development of the project idea, establishing institutional support for the project within the school or unit, identifying potential funding sources, and assisting faculty in developing proposals for submission;
- Maintains a system for tracking grant and stewardship reports/activities for all of Mason’s CFR prospects;
- Works with the Assistant Vice President of Corporation & Foundation Relations to develop CFR reports and analysis; and
- Maintains accurate and timely records using University Development data management and reporting systems, follows GMU policies and procedures, maintains files, and provides annual projections.
- Master’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education, training, and relevant work experience preferred;
- Several years of experience in successful fundraising, membership development. and/or grant writing experience required;
- Demonstrated ability working with corporate/foundation representatives; building donor/customer and prospect relationships and developing stewardship activities; and soliciting and closing gifts or securing grants of five figures or more;
- Must be self-starting, entrepreneurial, and creative individual who can express and recognize ideas and opportunities, and communicate goals and objectives clearly;
- Highly self-motivated with strong organizational skills and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals, with a high level of accountability for dollars raised goals;
- Strong computer and database literacy are essential;
- Must have the ability to synthesize complex material and have great attention to detail;
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Must have the ability to manage many projects simultaneously, and a demonstrated record of completing assignments;
- Must exhibit strong interpersonal skills that will enable him or her to work well with diverse groups of constituents and colleagues. On behalf of corporations, s/he may be responsible for liaising across campus; and
- Must demonstrate the aptitude to represent the University in a highly professional and effective manner.
- 5 years or more of experience in fundraising, membership development, and/or grant writing experience required;
- Experience in fundraising and stewardship of corporate and foundation donors;
- Experience working with senior executives, volunteers, senior administration, and faculty;
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the values and role of a public, research university;
- Experience in working with highly technical information; and
- Experience in higher education and/or non-profit industry.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA678z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.