SPECIAL EVENTS OFFICE ASSISTANT
- UC San Diego
- La Jolla, CA
- $51,531 - $55,102 /year
UC San Diego
SPECIAL EVENTS OFFICE ASSISTANT
Salary Range: $51,531 - $55,102 /year
The Office of Special Events & Protocol (SEP) is a division of the Chancellor’s Office. Its primary function is to plan and manage events hosted by the Chancellor and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and for advising the UC San Diego community on all matters of protocol, visits by the UC Office of the President, Regents or high-ranking government officials and serves as the liaison to the Office of the Chancellor in scheduling the Chancellor's participation at events. SEP also coordinates the University’s Medals programs and consults on program issues, events, ceremonies and dignitary visits sponsored by divisions throughout the campus community. SEP sets the stage for introducing potential donors and advocates to the excellence and innovation that are hallmarks of UC San Diego’s programs, faculty and students. Thousands of donors, dignitaries, elected officials, media, alumni, members of the community, faculty, staff, students and parents take part each year in events coordinated by SEP.
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director of Special Events & Protocol (SEP), the incumbent is responsible for providing a high degree of events, administrative, and program support for the department. Incumbent will provide high-level administrative support, which requires tact, diplomacy, and discretion on a wide variety of complex and sensitive issues. While performing their duties, the Assistant must demonstrate a high degree of professionalism in a rapidly changing, time-pressured environment. Assist the Executive Director with day-to-day operation of the office which includes maintaining calendars, scheduling meetings, reserving space and preparing documents.
The position is also responsible for the management of all general office duties, maintenance and repairs of office equipment, and maintaining inventory of all office supplies. Incumbent will be responsible for department calendar support, updating and maintaining departmental and event websites, travel arrangements, research and gathering of materials for meetings and events, as well as drafting and editing correspondence, briefings, and reports. The incumbent will also manage event registrations, maintain guest lists and RSVPs, create nametags, research and reserve event venues, place catering orders, reconcile registration rosters, and assist with the submission of event data into the online constituent database. The incumbent will administer financial transactions and prepare accounting forms which will include travel, entertainment, payment authorizations, purchasing, travel card reimbursements, and express card processes all in conformance with UC San Diego policies and procedures as needed and will serve as backup for the Business Operations Coordinator.
Occasional nights and weekends may be required.
• Please submit a cover letter for a complete application.
• Proven administrative skills to include the ability to organize and prioritize tasks with strong use of initiative, sound judgment, independent thought, and precise attention to detail with high level of confidentiality, professionalism and speed.
• Demonstrated ability to answer, screen and direct calls/visitors and take complete and accurate messages.
• Ability to maintain calendar and schedule appointments for department head and other designated individuals; anticipate potential schedule conflicts and suggest alternatives. Enter, edit, and delete appointments using an automated calendaring system.
• Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Google Drive, Zoom, Doodle, Cvent, and other related software programs.
• Proven experience processing financial transactions in the areas of purchasing, expense reimbursements, invoice payments, and travel. Ability to prepare budget projections, analyze expenditure trends, and make recommendations for cost savings.
• Effective interpersonal skills to establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, faculty, volunteers, and university departments and administration.
• Ability to present information, both written and financial, in a clear and concise manner, with appropriate supporting documentation.
• Excellent service skills, helpful, friendly, and service oriented towards requests for information. Incumbent will be expected to focus on providing high-quality service and communicating with others in a cooperative and courteous manner.
• Ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions and shifting priorities while maintaining ability to multi-task and coordinate and re-organize tasks for other support staff. Exercise mature judgment and extreme discretion in communicating sensitive information to individuals on and off campus.
• Written and oral communication skills that demonstrate correct grammar usage, syntax, edit and format, with ability to communicate clearly and effectively to a diverse group of people, both in person and on the telephone.
• Analytical skills to recognize trends, potential problems, alternatives solutions, implement solutions and follow-through to ensure effective change.
• Flexibility and creativity in finding appropriate solutions to complex problems, especially relating to fiscal and organizational activities and initiatives to implement solutions and measure applicability.
• Perform updates and routine maintenance to the departmental website. Create electronicdocuments to be shared and distributed across networks
• Proven integrity, dependability, sound judgement, diplomacy and resourcefulness, with a strong work ethic. Acknowledged reputation for tact and discretion with emphasis on flexibility and professionalism.
• Demonstrated competency and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
• Background Check required.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html