The Department of Computer Science at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for an Assistant Professor with broad teaching capacity that supports both undergraduate degrees and graduate degrees. The Computer Science department is home to the largest undergraduate program in the University which delivers an ABET accredited degree in Computer Science with specialization areas in Game Development, Cyber Security, Software Engineering, and Autonomous Systems. Successful applicants must be capable of teaching a range of classes in the curriculum, at all levels, and ideally would contribute to instruction focused in at least one of the following areas: graphical interactive programs, Cyber-Security, Autonomous Systems, Software Engineering, and Distributed/parallel computing.
This position is part of a strategic expansion of the department that will add approximately eight faculty to the current thirteen faculty members that comprise the department faculty. The department also delivers a Masters of Science degree in Computer Science and the expansion of the faculty will be critical to growing the size of this graduate program.
Applicants must demonstrate the ability to develop a highly successful teaching and research program, attract independent research funding, publish the results of their research studies in leading scientific journals of their discipline, supervise graduate and undergraduate students, and to teach effectively at both the graduate and undergraduate level courses. In addition, the candidates are expected to assist in the education mission of the department and to provide whatever academic service is requested to by the Chair of the Department.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related field (degree must be acquired by the starting date for the position)
DESIRED / PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Teaching and/or relevant research/industry experience
- Participation as a student or faculty in a US higher education institution
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent and interdisciplinary funded applied research.
- Experience in curriculum delivery and development
- Experience with students’ academic mentoring
- Experience in program assessment and execution of a continuous improvement plan.
- Active participation in professional activities and organizations.
- Prior professional US experience with progressive responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse campus community.
DESIRED / PREFERRED AREAS OF Teaching and Research INTEREST:
- Game Development and Simulation (Computer Graphics, Game Design, etc.).
- Software Engineering (Software Verification and Quality Assurance, Software Design and Architecture, etc.).
- Information Assurance & Cyber Security (Applied Cryptograph, Ethical Hacking, etc.).
- Other Areas: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Autonomous/Smart Systems.
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University opened for classes in 2014-15 and is the twelfth university in the Florida State University System. The University was created as a STEM-focused public university that offers high-value undergraduate and graduate degrees and that has intentional industry connections with a focus on economic development of the high-tech I-4 corridor. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive STEM workforce, Florida Polytechnic University blends traditional subject matter mastery with problem solving and laboratory experiences to provide students with learning opportunities applicable to both the workplace and a career of lifelong learning. The University delivers its courses in small class sizes, emphasizes a positive student to faculty experience, and is dedicated to both its teaching and research mission.
Faculty are employed at Florida Poly via renewable, term defined appointments, codified in a collective bargaining agreement, that substantially mirrors tenure systems with reappointment and progression in rank upon completion of a significant review of accomplishments.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High-Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format to the Florida Polytechnic Careers Website: https://floridapoly.edu/about/careers/careersportal
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
- Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, students, and others affiliated with the University) without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or genetic information.
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.