Dean, Girard School of Business
- Merrimack College
- North Andover, MA
Dean, Girard School of Business
Merrimack College invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the Girard School of Business. Merrimack College seeks an exceptional leader with a strong record of academic and/or professional accomplishment, as well as engagement with the business community, to serve in this key leadership position. The new Dean will have the opportunity to develop and advance a vision of entrepreneurial business education at the Girard School in collaboration with a dynamic faculty and staff and a supportive administration. This position represents an opportunity to help define a new future for the Girard School with a focus on creating a self-supporting entrepreneurial academic enterprise which focuses on resource creation, program development, and growth, as well as launching new delivery modalities and new external relationships to enhance and expand student experiential learning and career placement.
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, and coeducational college nestled in the Boston suburbs of Andover and North Andover, Mass., is an institution with great upward momentum. In the 2022 U.S. News & World Report rankings, Merrimack ranked 3 for Most Innovative Schools making improvements in curriculum, faculty, students, campus life, technology or facilities. U.S. news also ranked the College at 34 in the Regional Universities North category and 41 for Best Value Schools.
Founded in 1947 by the Archbishop of Boston and the Order of St. Augustine, Merrimack strives to cultivate global citizens who are prepared to lead in today’s diverse and changing environment. Merrimack offers graduate programs and nearly 100 undergraduate programs in liberal arts, science and engineering, business, health sciences, and education and social policy. The College has over 4,000 undergraduate and 1,400 graduate students from 40 states and 38 countries who form an engaged community of thinkers, learners and achievers integrated into an academic culture of excellence. Undergraduate enrollment has increased approximately 20% in the last five years and Merrimack has hired more than 80 new faculty in that same time.
The Girard School of Business enrolls approximately 1,230 undergraduate and 200 graduate students with 28 full-time faculty (tenured, tenure-track, and non-tenure-track) and approximately 26 part-time faculty. The School offers an undergraduate Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with concentrations in Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management, Global Management, Hospitality Management, Human Resource Management, Sport Management, and Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management. The School also offers nine business minors for non-business majors. The School offers a Master of Science in Accounting with an option to concentrate in Business Analytics, Forensic Accounting, or Taxation and a Master of Science in Management with an option to concentrate in Business Analytics, Quantitative and Digital Finance, Organizational Leadership, Marketing Management, and Strategic Human Resource Management.
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the Girard School of Business. Key dimensions of the Dean’s position include creating a vision that supports an entrepreneurial enterprise that has strong growth and reputational ambitions; developing new programs and ideas that generate new financial resources through new and revised undergraduate degree programs, new online graduate degrees and certificates, external grants and corporate relationships and sponsorships; cooperatively leading the effort to enhance and strengthen a positive, growth oriented culture that rewards faculty for ideas and productivity; and guiding and coordinating the School’s academic, research, development, and service activities. The next Dean will also develop and strengthen high-quality baccalaureate and master’s degree programs; work with the Department Chairs and faculty to guide the hiring, evaluation, development, and retention of top-quality full- and part-time faculty members within the School; work with faculty and the College’s advancement team to identify and obtain sources of revenue to support existing programs and services, and the creation of new ones; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with the business communities throughout the Northeast corridor.
The Dean of the Girard School will hold a terminal degree in business or a related field, and will have a record of teaching, scholarship, and service that merits appointment as (at the minimum) a tenured full/associate professor.
- Significant accomplishments in their career, with a background of academic experience and/or professional experience which provides the foundation for strong, credible leadership as a Dean;
- Ability to create and implement a strategic vision aligned with the College’s broader strategic goals;
- A track record of successful, proactive, and visionary leadership in a dynamic environment;
- Proven ability to manage a complex organization and work effectively with colleagues in the School, College, and community;
- A determined and strategic relationship builder who understands how to be responsive to the changing needs of corporate partners;
- An ability to encourage and foster quality teaching and scholarship activities among faculty;
- Demonstrated interest and success in external fundraising and developing alliances with the business community;
- Substantial fiscal management experience;
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of existing and emerging technologies;
- An understanding of and experience with business school accreditations;
- A management style driven by consensus building and teamwork;
- Strong commitment to racial, cultural, and gender diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Experience promoting high quality education at the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Experience in curriculum development and assessment, and development of innovative programs;
- An understanding of global and international education;
- Core values that align with the mission and values of the Girard School and Merrimack College.
The Girard School Dean search committee will be reviewing materials immediately. Application materials shall include a CV and a cover letter outlining interest; administrative experience; academic experience; and experience with, and commitment to, Merrimack’s Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning. All applications and nominations will be treated confidentially. For best consideration, please send a cover letter and CV to:
Steve Leo, Managing Director
Brian Bustin, Senior Associate
For more information on Merrimack College and its programs, please consult its website: www.merrimack.edu
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work: Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community. Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.