Director, Supplier Diversity
- George Mason University
- Fairfax, VA
George Mason University
Director, Supplier Diversity
The George Mason University, Fiscal Services Department, invites qualified candidates to apply for the Director, Supplier Diversity position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About Fiscal Services and Purchasing:
Fiscal Services supports the university’s mission by promoting financial best practices, forming strategic partnerships, establishing efficient systems, and pursuing continuous improvement. We create and maintain a sustainable financial framework and strong internal controls to promote sound fiscal management, careful stewardship of university resources, and accountability. We foster innovation to support Mason’s overall mission by employing new methods to deliver financial services and collaborating on process improvements and new initiatives. Fiscal Services Provides accurate and timely financial data to ensure comprehensive reporting, compliance, and analysis to enable strategic decision-making. The Purchasing Department oversees the procurement of goods and services by collaborating with units in making strategic purchasing decisions in addition to ensuring all Commonwealth and Mason purchasing policies are followed.
About the Position:
The Director, Supplier Diversity supports the University by identifying and implementing strategies for success to advance Mason’s Small, Women and Minority-owned business program (SWaM). The Director will drive the leadership, planning, organizing and implementation for this effort in four key areas: internal advocacy, external development, political outreach and data reporting. This position reports to the Chief Procurement Officer and is a member of the Purchasing Department.
- Lead the development, implementation, and administration of Mason’s SWaM program, including policies, procedures, and processes that increase engagement with diverse suppliers;
- Raise awareness of the SWaM program at all levels, provide coaching to university departments, and formulate partnership approaches with the other institutions of higher education and state agencies to support the University’s program;
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with diverse supplier organizations identifying mutually beneficial opportunities to increase engagement, foster connections and increase community presence;
- Establish program metrics and related data strategies to measure and drive program results, analyze performance relative to external benchmarks, and meet all internal and external reporting requirements;
- Use sophisticated analytical tools, discernment, thought leadership and good judgment to identify innovative solutions in the development of process, tool and system development and implementation;
- Develop robust partnerships with both internal stakeholders and external partners; and
- Proactively lead change through effective communication and change management strategies to maintain stakeholder alignment with supplier diversity program goal.
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated experience in supplier performance management and strategic sourcing techniques;
- Superior analytical ability to conduct detailed analyses of financial information, procurement data, and market intelligence and develop actionable insights;
- Proven ability to develop and maintain influential and collaborative relationships with internal and external partners;
- Proficiency in the utilization and application of data and analytics as a tool to inform Supplier Diversity strategy;
- Advanced Excel skills with the ability to create pivot tables and write formulas;
- Advanced PowerPoint skills with the ability to prepare presentations for executive-level stakeholders;
- Superior writing, oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; and
- Excellent flexibility and adaptability with a strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate large responsibilities and multiple priorities.
- Proven track record and experience in leadership and management of supplier diversity initiatives within a complex organization;
- Prior experience implementing Supplier Diversity programs in the fields of construction, architecture and engineering; and
- 5+ years’ experience in a procurement and/or or supplier diversity role in a government or higher education environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA79Hz by 12/08/2021 at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, a list of three supervisory references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.