Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- University of South Carolina
- Columbia, South Carolina
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS AND PROVOST
The Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost is the chief academic officer of the University of South Carolina (UofSC) and second ranking officer of the University, acting for the President in their absence. The provost administers the budgets of all academic units and oversees academic policy and priorities. S/he oversees the schools and colleges of the UofSC Columbia campus. The provost is charged with overall leadership of academic affairs of the University, including curriculum development and establishment of academic standards in the schools and colleges.
Founded in 1801, the University of South Carolina is the flagship institution of the University of South Carolina System and offers more than 350 programs of study, leading to bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees from fourteen degree-granting colleges and schools. Currently, the University of South Carolina has a total enrollment of approximately 50,000 students, with nearly 35,000 on the main Columbia campus, making it the largest university in the Carolinas. Its main campus in downtown Columbia has been categorized by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education: Doctoral Universities—Very High Research Activity.
Primary responsibilities for the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost will be:
- Leading the formulation and implementation of system-wide academic affairs policy relating to faculty hiring, retention, tenure, promotion, and development. Provides advice on important academic policy relating to faculty.
- Ensuring that the institution provides qualified faculty and appropriate academic support services that carry out the mission of the University.
- Overseeing the strategic academic policies and priorities for the University. Oversees the UofSC’s graduate and undergraduate academic programs as well as curriculum development, program assessment, and University accreditation.
- Overseeing the budgetary resources for all UofSC Columbia academic units and academic support areas and managing the strategic planning processes for those units. Planning, developing, and managing an effective budget for the academic divisions.
- Providing advice on broader University budgetary issues to the President and various stakeholders.
- Supporting the advancement of the University’s competitive research globally through promoting and enabling research innovation and excellence.
- Collaborating with Palmetto College to ensure quality online learning, general education and completion of bachelor’s degrees through convenient and accessible programs both at the Palmetto College campuses and online.
- Leading the UofSC Press, the Office of Institutional Research, Assessment and Analytics, the Office of Academic Programs and Global Carolina.
- Fostering communication and collaboration on academic matters among the faculty and UofSC campuses including awareness of trends in higher education.
- Serving as a local, regional, and national spokesperson on behalf of the University in support of higher education and research.
The successful applicant will have a distinguished record of scholarship and administrative experience; possess vision, integrity, creativity, energy, acumen, and diplomatic skills; and will understand and appreciate the value of the liberal arts, professional education, and scholarly research.
A complete Leadership Profile, with information about the University of South Carolina, priorities for the new provost, and qualifications for the position, may be found at: www.agbsearch.com (“Active Searches,” look for the University of South Carolina entry)
Roderick J. McDavis (email@example.com), Sally K. Mason (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Garry W. Owens (email@example.com)—all representing AGB Search—will be assisting the University of South Carolina Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Search Committee. Prospective nominators or potential candidates are encouraged to contact Dr. McDavis, Dr. Mason, or Dr. Owens directly by email prior to submitting materials.
Application materials must be submitted electronically and should include: 1) a letter of interest that addresses specifically how the candidate’s experiences and qualifications intersect with the UofSC’s qualifications and priorities as identified in the Leadership Profile; 2) a curriculum vitae (please also list your personal email address and cell phone number); and, 3) the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of five references for future contact—please also include your professional relationship with each reference listed. No references will be contacted without prior permission granted by the candidate. All candidate names will remain confidential until campus finalists are announced. Application and nomination materials should be submitted electronically by the target date of January 14, 2022 to: ProvostUofSC@agbsearch.com.
The University of South Carolina is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.