Associate Director of Accounts Payable
- Fairfax, VA
Associate Director of Accounts Payable
The George Mason University Foundation, Inc. invites qualified candidates to apply for a full-time Associate Director of Accounts Payable position.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the George Mason University Foundation:
The George Mason University Foundation is a 501©(3) non-profit foundation and a private corporation organized and operated exclusively for the benefit of George Mason University. The Foundation assists the university in generating private support and manages, invests, and administers private gifts, including endowments and real property.
About the Position:
The Associate Director of Accounts Payable will supervise and direct the full cycle of the accounts payable process. They will be responsible for the prompt and accurate processing, payment, and accounting of all payment requests received by University departments that have funds held at the Foundation. The Associate Director of Accounts Payable ensures payments are made within GMUF policies and procedures, as well as manages and provides direction and support to the AP staff. This position mentors, supervises, and trains new and existing team members, is responsible for identifying opportunities to improve efficiency and achieve goals and measures, assists in eliciting and clearly documenting Foundation requirements, and articulates ideas and viewpoints to management, peers, and others. This position is tasked with managing resources, driving the resolution of issues, and supporting the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders in GMUF, Advancement and Alumni Relations, and across Schools and Units.
- Responsible for accounts payable processing and management;
- Review vouchers for accurate account name and number, signature approvals, and supporting documentation (i.e. receipts, tax forms, etc.);
- Allocate incoming vouchers to AP staff for processing;
- Resolve more complex AP inquires;
- Monitor and ensure compliance with foundation policies and procedures within the AP function;
- Oversight of the bi-weekly check run and weekly electronic payment processes;
- Provide periodic training to departments on foundation disbursement policies and procedures;
- Periodically attend fiscal services meeting to provide foundation updates and/or clarify foundation processes;
- Oversight of vendor management and 1099 reporting;
- High-level review of credit card transactions to ensure consistent and accurate coding;
- Ensure timely recording of credit card transactions to the general ledger;
- Ensure timely monthly reconciliation of the credit card liability account;
- Oversight and supervision of staff resources to ensure the payables function is successful in meeting goals and objectives;
- Manage and approve work schedules and workload;
- Provide training for new personnel;
- Develop performance goals collaboratively with direct reports, monitor performance, provide feedback regularly and prepare and administer annual staff evaluations for direct reports; and
- Approve timesheets for direct reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance and/or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Substantial demonstrated experience in accounts payable within a business or financial environment, minimum of three years required;
- Supervision/management experience;
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Must have the ability to work and interact effectively with faculty, staff, students, and external agencies;
- Must possess strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to problem solve, work independently and use professional judgment;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs;
- Knowledge of IRS vendor tax status rules and IRS Form 1099 reporting and year-end filing; and
- Must possess analytical skills to assess and develop process improvement opportunities to improve service, efficiency, and workflow.
- Experience within a non-profit/university setting;
- Experience supervising multiple employees; and
- Five years plus substantial demonstrated experience in accounts payable within a business or financial environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 03097z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.