- University of Connecticut
- Storrs, CT
The University of Connecticut School of Social Work (SSW) is seeking applicants to perform the duties of a part-time (85%) Publicity/Marketing Administrator within the Office of the Dean. Under the general direction of the Dean of the School of Social Work and the Vice President for Communications, or designee, the Publicity/Marketing Administrator leads the School’s publicity, communications, and marketing efforts, working at both the strategic and operational level.
The focus of this position is to serve as the communication hub for creating and disseminating information about the School's highlights and accomplishments across the University, region, and nation. This includes attracting both prospective talented students from Connecticut and beyond to our Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Ph.D. programs, as well as a strong and diverse faculty pool. The use of print, video, website, and social media platforms will be designed to elevate the reputation of the School and maintain a strong brand. The individual in this position will make efforts through best practices in communications and marketing, to effectively advance and execute creative materials for the School, while also being adept at strategic planning, budget management, and using quantitative results to drive decision-making.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The ideal candidate is self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and work independently. The ability to multi-task effectively under pressure is a must, as is the willingness to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment. This individual has a combination of strong project management and hands-on technical skills.
- Maintaining the School of Social Work website, including making updates as needed/requested and leading any improvement/redesign projects aimed at ensuring the best user experience for our primary (prospective students) and secondary (current students, faculty, instructors, and staff; general public; partners; etc.) audiences.
- Running the School’s social media accounts (currently Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube); creating/gathering content to post at least three times per week on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and as appropriate on LinkedIn and YouTube; resharing content from other University accounts or constituent accounts, as appropriate; monitoring comments on all platforms; setting and adhering to strategy (i.e. limits on event promotion, incorporating student/faculty stories; amplifying any news/UConn Today coverage of the School, etc.); providing support to the Dean and any faculty on their social media presence.
- Serving as the primary public relations person for the School, working on stories with a UConn Today writer and connecting the writer with researchers/faculty/student sources, as well as writing stories and other content (i.e. awards news) for the School of Social Work’s UConn Today page, aiming for at least two stories per month to appear on the page with the potential to increase target number.
- Developing and executing marketing plans for each year, encompassing all communications and marketing efforts from news to advertising to outreach, and running any campaigns while working with the Dean to identify needs and planning ad placements, writing and designing ads, or working with University Communications to create them, and tracking outcomes.
- Supporting the SSW Office of Admission by creating recruitment materials, either designed by incumbent or in collaboration with University Design Services/University Communications and writing/editing emails and other web copy as needed.
- Supporting School administration, faculty, and staff communications needs and serving as a resource for how best to share their messages. Assist with event promotion (primarily posting to social media and email announcements when needed), annual Research newsletter, preparing Dean remarks when requested, advertising, other as needed.
- Ensuring UConn and UConn SSW brand standards are upheld across all official communications, writing for all uses is on-message and adheres to style and grammar best practices, and proper logos and colors are used (see brand.uconn.edu). Serves as a resource on the brand for members of the School.
- Serving as liaison to UConn Communications, to include working with the Dean and University Communications, to develop a strategic marketing plan in line with the University's centralized marketing communications model.
- Monitoring firstname.lastname@example.org email account and answering emails or referring them to appropriate person (typically to Admissions Office or OSAS).
- Attending University Communications' professional development and training, as appropriate.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Four to five years of related experience
- Experience in web design and management
- Experience working with various types of social media
- Experience with public relations
- Experience with professional writing
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Experience with Word Press
- Experience in an educational setting, particularly in higher education
- Experience working in a public agency
This is a part-time (85%), 12-month position with an anticipated start date of December 3, 2021. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495791 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on November 16, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.