Associate Vice President, Research & Sponsored Programs
The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Research and Sponsored Programs leads the Office of Sponsored Research & Scholarly Innovation and provides vision, direction, and strategic leadership to support scholarship, research, and creative activities within the University. The AVP works closely with the academic deans and external partners, and collaborates with offices across the University to support and grow research programs. The AVP stays current with federal and state research agendas and policy issues to ensure an appropriate response from the University and will have experience in developing strategies to identify and provide research and scholarly support for investigators from diverse backgrounds.
With an enrollment of 16,000 students, FGCU has a main campus of 800 acres with LEED-certified buildings and 400 acres of protected habitat. The university’s award-winning initiatives in education, energy production, research, and sustainable practices make us one of the nation’s greenest campuses. Located in beautiful Southwest Florida between the cities of Fort Myers and Naples, FGCU is in an area known for its beaches, resorts, nature preserves, and outdoor recreation; two hours by car from the major cities of St. Petersburg, Tampa, and Miami, and 15 minutes from the Southwest Florida International Airport.
FGCU aspires to be an inclusive working and learning environment engaging in civil discourse where students, faculty, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural worldview. We collectively stand against any practices of discrimination, intolerance, expressions of hate, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, appreciate, and live and work in a diverse community of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic statuses, cultural traditions, and family statuses.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
In collaboration with the Provost, academic leadership, and research administrators, develops systematic strategic processes to capitalize on opportunities that support and grow the University's externally funded research programs and increase its scholarly, economic, and social relevance.
Identifies, develops, and nurtures relationships through research-based partnerships, and through connections to research centers, institutes, and programs.
Works closely with the Provost, academic leadership, and research centers/institutes to ensure the recruitment and retention of highly qualified research faculty/staff and the acquisition of world-class research facilities/equipment.
Drives research funding initiatives, including faculty research development programs, to spur research activity.
Participates in University strategic planning and aligns goals within the Office of Sponsored Research & Scholarly Innovation with overall university strategies
Provides leadership in developing university-wide projects focused on promoting student success and identifying appropriate funding sources.
Safeguards the legal, fiscal, and financial well-being of the university in the areas of grants and research.
Develops, administers, and analyzes continuous assessment of operations. Prepares and evaluates statistical, analytical, and financial reports to be used for decision making and program improvement.
Coordinates with university administration and faculty to implement professional development opportunities and create internal programs that support and enhance faculty scholarship and research.
Actively demonstrates commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice by:
- Recruiting highly qualified research faculty/staff from underserved or historically marginalized groups
- Supporting scholarship and research activities focused on diversity, equal opportunity, cross-cultural communication and interdisciplinary collaboration
Other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
- A terminal degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization.
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible research administration experience in a higher education institution, government, or industry environment, including 5 years of leadership experience.
- Experience planning, managing budgets, and administering significant grants and contracts.
- A proven record of promoting scholarship, research and research partnerships
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Progressively responsible experience providing leadership and development of research and sponsored programs in a higher education setting.
- An outstanding record of scholarly achievement and an international reputation within the broader scholarly community, appropriate for appointment as full professor
- Ten or more years leadership experience in research within higher education, government, and/or industry
- Demonstrable success in the translation and adoption of research
- Proficiency with Workday Grants
- Demonstrated ability to advance sponsored research and innovation in a university setting.
- Recent experience within Research and Sponsored Programs in a higher education institution.
- Broad experience at multiple types and classifications of universities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state funding opportunities and trends, national and international research organizations, faculty fellowship programs, institutional partnerships, and research collaborations.
- Knowledge of current federal and state research compliance regulations, policies, and practices
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion
- Proven ability to promote a working environment that rewards new ideas and innovation, builds collaborations, and encourages teamwork
- Ability to implement new systems and procedures and to evaluate their effectiveness
- Ability to engage effectively with a broad range of internal and external constituencies
- Ability to think critically and creatively, commitment to a high standard of integrity, and incorporation of best practices into the organizational structure
- Ability to exercise a high degree of independent judgment in the establishment, interpretation, application, and enforcement of all rules, regulations, and policies
- Experience in Executive Team participation and leadership
- Demonstrated success with budgeting and financial management
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property and commercialization process.
- Proven experience in building and maintaining local, state, or federal agency relations, as well as global stakeholders.
- Proven record of individual research and scholarship
- Proven experience in developing and managing global research administration projects.
- Knowledge of the research life cycle and of how to provide support to faculty for scholarship and research in a university setting
- Knowledge and experience in research compliance requirements and management
- Ability in effective leadership, and in management skills and abilities.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made at a faculty rank of full Professor on a 12-month out-of-unit multi-year appointment basis available Spring 2022.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
The position is listed as “open until filled”; however, applications received by December 31, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
To apply please visit: https://www.fgcu.edu/hr/jobs-at-fgcu
FGCU is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Employer
More search results
Dean, Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing …
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Assistant Teaching Professor of Chemistry (Organi…
The University of Tampa
Dean, School of Law
Business Librarian, USF Libraries, Tampa campus
University of South Florida
Curator-FL Environmental & Natural History Collec…
University of South Florida