Title: Dean, College of Liberal Arts
Position ID#: C.AP.274.004
Deadline to Apply: 01/18/2022 or until filled
Job Category: Administrative/Professional
Department: College of Liberal Arts-SIUC
College: College of Liberal Arts-SIUC
Months of Appointment: 12-month
Position Summary: Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIU Carbondale) invites nominations and applications for Dean of the College of Liberal Arts (COLA). We seek a talented and inspirational academic leader for this newly organized College.
SIU Carbondale is a doctoral research university with students from all 50 states and approximately 100 countries. We offer roughly 200 degree programs, with about 100 degrees each at the undergraduate and graduate level, plus professional degrees in law and medicine. SIU Carbondale embraces a unique tradition of access and opportunity, inclusive excellence, innovation in research and creativity, and outstanding teaching focused on nurturing student success. As a nationally-ranked public research university and regional economic catalyst, we create and exchange knowledge to shape future leaders, improve our communities, and transform lives.
The Dean of the College of Liberal Arts is the chief administrative and academic officer of the College and reports to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The successful candidate is expected to bring a vision for the future which will inspire, encourage, build consensus, and lead the faculty, students, and staff of the College community to greater academic excellence. As the inaugural dean of a newly organized College, the successful candidate will provide leadership in shaping the identity of the College, inspire the College to develop innovative interdisciplinary academic and research activities, and serve as the face of the College in outreach to alumni and other constituencies.
The College of Liberal Arts offers wide ranging academic programming encompassing 12 undergraduate major degrees, 31 undergraduate minors, 11 master’s degree programs and 7 doctoral programs. The College offers academic programing on-campus and online. COLA’s curriculum is enhanced through work across fields, bridging multiple disciplines, and through use of current research and teaching technologies with applications in the liberal arts. Student experiences are augmented with research experiences provided by our faculty, the ability to mix and match majors to suit the student’s preferences and needs. A number of research centers, teacher education and second-language acquisition programs are also contained within the college. Current academic schools include the School of Communication Studies; School of Languages and Linguistics; School of History and Philosophy; School of Literature, Written and Digital Humanities; the School of Anthropology, Political Science, and Sociology; and the School of Africana and Multicultural Studies. Our offerings provide an outstanding academic experience to students with diverse interests and career and professional goals. Additional information is available at https://cola.siu.edu.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Dean’s primary roles include (1) student recruitment and retention; (2) providing active leadership in the areas of diversity, equity and inclusion, including SIU Carbondale’s tradition of serving underrepresented, international, first-generation students, and students with disabilities; (3) strategic planning, budgeting, and program development; (4) faculty and staff recruitment and professional development; (5) resource enhancement through fundraising and maximizing external grant potential. Specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as an officer of the University with a commitment to the goals, aspirations, and mission of SIU Carbondale, as set forth under the leadership of the Chancellor.
- Serve as a member of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Deans’ Council.
- Provide active leadership for the college’s commitment to diversity and an environment that advances inclusive excellence and actively opposes discrimination and intolerance. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about their track record in this area and how they will further this goal at SIU Carbondale.
- In a spirit of shared governance, conduct the affairs of the College in accordance with all relevant State statutes, the directives of the Illinois Board of Higher Education, the Statutes and Bylaws of the SIU Board of Trustees, relevant collective bargaining agreements, and the fiscal and administrative policies of the University.
- In close consultation with the Office of Enrollment Management, oversee the College’s recruitment and retention efforts to increase the number of majors and enhance academic success of students.
- Implement the College’s mission, vision, and goals by mobilizing faculty, students, and external groups to achieve excellence in teaching, extension, service, and scholarly activity, including growth in externally-funded research.
- Represent the College while serving as official spokesperson between the College and other units within the University, as well as with off-campus constituencies.
- Promote excellence in undergraduate and graduate academic programming, including the development of innovative interdisciplinary programs.
- Provide active leadership in meeting the needs of students, and lead the College’s efforts in recruitment, retention, advisement, and career placement of a diverse body of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Support and enhance the development of off-campus and online degree programs.
- Communicate effectively with faculty and staff of the College and maintain positive, collaborative engagement with other administrative and auxiliary units, and with relevant collective bargaining units.
- Allocate resources and enact plans to support academic excellence within the approved budget framework.
- Provide leadership in the areas of faculty and staff recruitment, retention and professional development, particularly with respect to women and/or individuals from underrepresented groups.
- Cultivate, involve, engage, and energize the community, alumni, and friends of the College and University in developing and sustaining an active external fundraising program. (For more information on the SIU Foundation, visit http://www.siuf.org/).
- Develop external support and funding from industry and governmental agencies.
- Support and enhance the research infrastructure in the College.
- Participate in program reviews and guide specialized accreditations and ensure that undergraduate and graduate programs conform to or exceed the standards of accrediting agencies.
Applicants must possess:
- A terminal degree in an appropriate discipline represented in the College;
- A distinguished record of teaching, an outstanding record of peer-reviewed scholarship/creative activity, and substantial professional service consistent with appointment at the rank of Professor with tenure at a Doctoral Research-Extensive University;
- Academic administrative experience and managerial skills at the level of department chair or other academic leadership position of similar responsibility;
- Experience in actively promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and equal opportunity;
- Experience in budget, planning, personnel, student matters, promotion and tenure review, program reviews and/or specialized accreditations;
- The ability and motivation to develop and sustain collegial and productive relationships with on- and off-campus constituencies, industry partners, funding sources, and fundraising sources on behalf of the College;
Security/Safety Sensitive: Security sensitive (subject to pre-employment criminal background investigation)
General Information: Applications must be submitted online at https://jobs.siu.edu/. A cover letter/vision statement for the position is required and should be uploaded to your application along with a current curriculum vitae.
Please list on your application the name, address, phone number, and email address of five references.
For additional information please contact Dean John Pollitz (firstname.lastname@example.org), chair of search committee
Contact: Melanie Terbrak
Contact Phone: 618-453-7648
Contact Email: email@example.com
SIU Carbondale, member of the SIU System, is an anti-racist community that opposes racism, discrimination and inequity in any form, and embraces diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice for all people.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of
individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its
ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to
serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed
and encouraged and will receive consideration.
More search results
Computer Science Professor, Tenured / Tenure Trac…
NYU Abu Dhabi
Chair, Department of Computer Science
Stevens Institute of Technology
Vice President for Finance and Administration/Tre…
Copy of Vice Chancellor for Administration and Fi…
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
Dean of the School of Business
George Mason University