Dean - College of Engineering and Engineering Technology (Position #4948)
- Northern Illinois University
- DeKalb, IL
Northern Illinois University, a regional public university of 19,015 students located about 75 minutes from Chicago in DeKalb, IL, seeks a dynamic, articulate, and energetic leader to serve as the next dean of the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology.
The ABET-accredited College of Engineering and Engineering Technology is one of the University’s distinctive strengths. The College of Engineering and Engineering Technology has areas of enrollment growth, a committed and talented faculty, and a loyal alumni base in the Chicago area and beyond. The college has an experienced group of senior administrators who provide day-to-day leadership and make it possible for the dean to undertake an ambitious and successful fundraising effort.
The College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, the newest college at Northern Illinois University, was founded in 1985. It has grown into a highly regarded college with quality programs delivered by excellent faculty who are dedicated to delivering a dynamic and innovative curriculum. More than 1,600 undergraduate and 300 graduate students enrolled in the college are served by the DeKalb campus, and off-campus and online programs.
Four strong discipline-based academic departments compose the College: Electrical Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Technology. The College offers B.S. and M.S. degrees in each department as well numerous emphases, minors and certificates of study.
The dean of the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology reports to the provost and is responsible for the overall academic, administrative, and fiscal leadership of the college. Specifically, these responsibilities include:
- Advancing the shared vision, mission, and core values of the College
- Promoting excellence in teaching and research to support a balanced mission
- Developing external relationships and fundraising opportunities in support of the College’s programs
- Directing the College’s $6-million plus budget (2015-2016 appropriation) to support its mission
- Supporting faculty, staff, and student partnerships with the business community
- Interacting effectively with faculty, staff, students, alumni, industry, and academic communities
- Facilitating and maintaining strong relationships and connections with industry in and around Northern Illinois
- Facilitating and maintaining strong relationships and connections with research centers and/or funding agencies
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. in an engineering discipline and a record that warrants appointment as a full professor in one of the departments of the college.
- A record of accomplishment in teaching and scholarship.
- A record of progressively more responsible administrative experiences in an academic setting, including managing budgets, facilities, personnel, and curriculum.
- Fundraising skill and potential. Experience collaborating with Advancement staff to acquire support from public and private sources is ideal.
- Experience building partnerships with the community and alumni.
- Experience developing relationships with government agencies and industry partners for the benefit of the academic unit and the students it serves.
- Experience recruiting faculty, staff and students.
- Excellent communication skills that permit open dialog with faculty, staff, students, and internal and external constituencies and partners.
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse faculty, staff, and student population, with a history of encouraging cultural diversity.
- Experience in leading an academic program to a successful accreditation or reaccreditation.
- Skill in data-driven management in evaluating, measuring and elevating academic units and faculty performance.
- Licensed Professional Engineer designation and/or experience in non-academic engineering and design work.
- Proven experience in strategic planning for academic units.
- In-depth understanding of current engineering trends and best practices, and expertise/working knowledge of related professional fields.
Procedure for Candidacy
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. For priority consideration, applicant materials should be received by January 27, 2017. To apply online, go to http://highereddecisions.com and select this vacancy. Candidates should provide a curriculum vitae, a letter of interest that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described in the Leadership Profile, and the names and contact information of five professional references. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval of candidates. All applications and nominations will be held in confidence.
For nominations or further information:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
- or -
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
The material presented in this leadership profile should be relied on for informational purposes only. This material has been copied, compiled, or quoted in part from Northern Illinois University documents and personal interviews and is believed to be reliable. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, the original source documents and factual situations govern.
In compliance with the Illinois Campus Security Act, before an offer of employment is made, the university will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
More search results
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Portland State University
Washington University in St. Louis
Term Assistant Professor of Management
George Mason University
Dean of the School of Arts and Letters
College of St. Scholastica
Director of Institutional Compliance
University of North Texas