Director of Development
Director of Development
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Director of Development
Job Profile Title
Major Gifts Officer Senior
Job Description Summary
The Director of Development / Senior Major Gifts Officer (SMGO) identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards individual and institutional prospects ($10,000 and above) for select clinical departments, divisions, and programs within Penn Medicine. The SMGO plans, coordinates, and implements development efforts for these defined areas and works closely with department, division, and program directors (almost exclusively Penn Medicine faculty/physicians), senior level administrators, and volunteers to meet funding goals. This position also manages assigned volunteer leadership Councils and/or Boards.
Develop an understanding of the educational, research, clinical, and financial needs and goals of Penn Medicine (comprised of the Perelman School of Medicine and the University of Pennsylvania Health System). Speak passionately and authentically about the history, achievements, and strategic direction of Penn Medicine, and have the ability to articulate that vision effectively to a diverse audience.
Successfully grow and manage a major gift portfolio of 100+ donor prospects to meet agreed upon philanthropic goals. Focus on donor moves management, working collaboratively with faculty and development colleagues to engage donors toward major and leadership gifts to Penn Medicine.
Interact effectively with a broad range of constituents and provide strong support, inspiring faculty, donors, and volunteer leaders to take action, ensuring a rewarding gift experience.
Emphasize cultivation and solicitation strategies that focus on donor-centered philanthropy to maximize potential gifts. Coordinate the participation of faculty, administration, trustees/volunteers, and other members of the development staff in achieving unit goals.
Direct and prepare major prospect proposals, and cultivation and solicitation informational materials, for both individual and organizational prospects.
Plan, coordinate, and direct visits and special events for donor prospects and donors.
Oversee stewardship activities with assigned prospects.
Report regularly to Executive Director of Development for UPHS and interact frequently with other colleagues on all fundraising activity through active implementation of the major gifts tracking/reporting/moves management system.
Collaborate with University of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine leadership and development colleagues on all matters regarding assigned prospects.
Work as a senior member of the UPHS Development team.
Bachelor's degree required; five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in institutional advancement, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Ability to function independently yet work in a centralized development structure.
Demonstrated ability to meet fundraising goals with a growing confidence in managing and balancing donor/faculty/volunteer relationships.
Ability to be at ease with faculty, academic and administrative leaders, and community leaders, gaining their confidence and respect.
Ability to work well with staff members, regardless of position in office hierarchy; and willingness to function collaboratively.
Ability to take information from many sources and distill it to core messages that are communicated strategically and effectively to different audiences. Adaptive to rapidly changing environments.
Demonstrate high integrity and trust, and is comfortable as a role model for professional and support staff.
Excellent computer and communication skills essential.
Ability to travel both locally and nationally. A valid driver's license is required.
Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
**Please provide a resume and cover letter in order to be considered for this role. Please upload all documents in the “Resume/CV” section of the application prior to submitting.**
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Development and Alumni Relations
$59,703.00 - $113,435.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay opens new window" target="_blank" href="https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=2567254&targetURL=https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay">https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/3535-Market/Director-of-Development_JR00042304-1
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Associate Director of Communications, Office of D…
Fielding Graduate University
Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Dean, School of Engineering
University of Dayton
Dean of the College of Science
Florida Atlantic University
Associate Director of Corporation & Foundation Re…
George Mason University