- Assistant Professor of Dance – Jordan College of the Arts
- Butler University
- Indianapolis, IN
- Jan 15, 2017
Assistant Professor of Dance – Jordan College of the Arts
The Jordan College of the Arts at Butler University seeks to hire an Assistant Professor of Dance, Tenure Track beginning August 2017 (fall term). The Assistant Professor of Dance will teach undergraduate dance courses at various levels, including but not limited to Ballet Technique, Pointe, Pas de Deux, Variations, Classical and Contemporary Repertoire. The Assistant Professor of Dance should have expertise and interest in one or more of the following academic areas: Craft of Choreography, Pedagogy Advisement, Anatomy/Kinesiology, resume preparation, Professional Practices, Teaching Analysis or Dance History. Participation in the University Core Curriculum in academics or movement-based classes is highly desired. Serving as a Choreographer for Butler Ballet is expected. Undergraduate academic advising; student mentoring; committee participation at the departmental, college, and university levels; and community service are expected of the successful candidate.
The Department of Dance has a strong ballet focus within a liberal arts education and offers BFA, BA and BS degrees in performance, pedagogy and arts administration/dance, with major emphasis on performing and the training of highly competitive dancers. The program is also committed to providing a strong background in teaching and choreography. The Department of Dance is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Dance.
- Evidence of pedagogical excellence in Ballet Technique – as a performer and/or teacher.
- Demonstrated research interests/experience in pedagogy and/or other dance subjects stated above.
- A minimum of three years of university or professional teaching experience.
- Evidence of a professional career as a performer, a choreographer or both.
- M.F.A. preferred - professional equivalent also considered.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate ballet as a first language and exhibit a breadth of understanding of new disciplines.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to work as a team member within the department and in collaboration with other Jordan College of the Arts departments
Applicants must submit a:
- Cover Letter
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- DVD of Choreography
- Three (3) current letters of recommendation
- List of three (3) to five (5) references
Completed materials should be submitted as a single PDF via email to:
Derek Reid, Associate Professor, Department of Dance/Search Committee Chair at
Application submission deadline is February 10, 2017. Review of applications will begin January 1, 2017.
Only completed applications will be considered.
Butler University, one of the nation’s leading master’s comprehensive universities, was founded in 1855 on the principle of equal access to higher education for both genders and all races. Butler encompasses six colleges with an enrollment of 4000 undergraduates and 500 graduate students, and emphasizes a liberal arts education with more than 60 majors. The Jordan College of the Arts, one of the five professional colleges, includes undergraduate programs in arts administration, art + design, dance, music & theatre; a graduate program in music; and the Butler Community Arts School, an arts education program.
The Jordan College of the Arts is committed to a diverse faculty and staff. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.