Communications Director, Ci3
- The University of Chicago
- Chicago, IL
About the Department
The Center for Interdisciplinary Inquiry and Innovation in Sexual and Reproductive Health (Ci3) is a research center at the University of Chicago addressing the social and structural determinants of adolescent sexual and reproductive health. We envision a world in which all adolescents emerge into adulthood with agency over their bodies and futures. As such, we are committed to empowering adolescents, conducting innovative research, and uncovering opportunities for policy and systemic change through our labs including the Design Lab, the Game Lab, and the Transmedia Story Lab. This at-will position is wholly or partially funded by contractual grant funding which is renewed under provisions set by the grantor of the contract. Employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of these grant funds and satisfactory job performance.
The job uses best practices and knowledge to plan, prepare, and disseminate information designed to keep the public informed of the University's perspectives, programs, and accomplishments. Devises strategy relating to marketing, press relations, creative editorial and design services, and internal communications. The Communications Director will oversee all communications needs for Ci3. These responsibilities will include managing broad, strategic projects, communications plans, websites, newsletters, social media channels and all other communications materials needed to develop and disseminate information about Ci3. They will work closely with the Ci3 Directors to increase brand recognition, drive traffic to the organization website, and ensure promotional efforts are aligned with the organizational goals and strategy. Additionally, the Communications Director will build and execute of a robust public relations plan designed to reinforce the Ci3 brand as a leader in the industry. The Director will strategically liaise with Ci3 labs for consistent and relevant messages both inside and outside the organization. They will also oversee the organization donor cultivation lists, supervise the work of the communications team members, and serve on the organizational leadership team.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Ci3 Marketing and Communications strategy.
- Oversee the design of Ci3 print collateral, including brochures, short publications, and event invitations and signage, etc.
- Lead tracking of cultivation efforts for foundations and individual donors.
- Oversee the management and development of digital content .
- Oversee the management of Ci3’s mail listserv (Via MailChimp) and maintaining the organization’s supporter database.
- Oversee the development and scheduling of the organization’s social media content (Via Hootsuite), including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram accounts.
- Write executive messaging and copy for social channels.
- Brainstorm and implement creative social media strategies to build engagement and reach.
- Partner with the creative department team to develop complementary visuals and videos to best reflect the tone and style authentic to Ci3.
- Lead the writing, editorial and review process for Ci3 Labs.
- Oversee content development and site management for the Ci3 website.
- Manage Ci3 branding and identity review and updating project.
- Work alongside Executive Director and Faculty Director to coordinate communications office-wide.
- Provide additional support to Executive Director and Faculty Director initiatives as needed.
- Communicate with academic and/or administrative units, updating them as necessary on the status of key initiatives.
- Supervise the Communications Team members.
- Serve on the organizational leadership team.
- Represent Ci3 at university-wide communication events and conferences, updating teams of Ci3’s work on a needed basis.
- Develops, plans, and disseminates information designed to keep the public informed of the organization's programs, accomplishments, or point of view.
- Makes contributions to the media interface, including writing press releases, planning and organizing media coverage for major events, and crafting responses to sensitive or controversial issues.
- Solves moderate to complex problems related to the writing, preparation, and/or delivery of information from or about the unit.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 5-7 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
- Master’s degree.
- Professional experience in communications, higher education or other relevant fields.
- Experience building and/or leading strategic communications efforts for an academic research organization.
- Experience working with faculty and faculty-led initiatives.
- Experience with higher education.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to create and implement communications plans.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams across multiple organizations.
- Highly proficient organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent skills working both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to supervise cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with executive decision makers and inﬂuencers.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to remain courteous and professional at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to review and prioritize work independently and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to be resourceful and creative when problem-solving.
- Ability to maintain calm and positive attitude and to work productively despite heavy workload, competing priorities, complex problems, and tight deadlines.
- Ability to handle sensitive and conﬁdential situations/information with absolute discretion.
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to synthesize information quickly, adapting material for various audiences.
- Highly adept in Associated Press Writing Skills.
- Proficient in CMS platforms, specifically Wordpress and MailChimp.
- Adept with both established and emerging social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat.
- Adept knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint.
- Resume (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
More search results
Lecturer/Assistant Professor, Department of Design
DigiPen Institute of Technology
Research Coordinator (PVWDC)
University of Pennsylvania
Research Specialist B (Ophthalmology)
University of Pennsylvania
Research Specialist C, Immunology Core (Gene Ther…
University of Pennsylvania
GLP Study Coordinator (Gene Therapy Program)
University of Pennsylvania