Senior Project Manager - Design and Construction
Senior Project Manager - Design and Construction
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Senior Project Manager - Design and Construction
Job Profile Title
Manager, Project Senior-Facilities Management
Job Description Summary
The Division of Facilities and Real Estate Services (FRES) provides the expertise, business process, policies and standards required to plan, design, construct, operate, maintain and renew the physical assets of the University, excluding the health system. In addition, the Division, comprised of approximately five Departments, is responsible for the strategic planning, management and operation of non-academic University property, and collaborating with the neighborhood to create a safe, diverse and economically vibrant destination. With close to 12M square feet of space, FRES maintains 186 buildings on a campus of 276 acres, completes over 60,000 maintenance requests per year, and starts approximately 250 projects a year. FRES is comprised of the following Departments: Administration, Office of the University Architect, Design and Construction, Real Estate, Operations and Maintenance.
The University of Pennsylvania is implementing a campus transformation entitled Penn Connects (http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu). This comprehensive, award winning effort is expanding the campus over the next 20 years, including the construction of new academic research and recreational facilities. In addition, the University has secured $300M in Century Bond funding and continues to upgrade existing facilities over the coming years. https://www.facilities.upenn.edu/
Reporting to a Director of Design and Construction for Facilities and Real Estate Services (FRES), Sr. Project Manager (SPM) duties are as follows:
- Responsible for the management of design, engineering, legal, construction, and other professionals employed in the planning, design and construction of major capital projects from inception through final project closeout.
- Develop a collaborative team environment between the Schools/Centers, contractors, designers, and FRES Divisions.
- Manage larger or otherwise more complex projects with a high level of self-sufficiency and limited need for oversight and direction.
- Responsible for the administration of financial records, and the development and rigorous maintenance of project budgets, schedules, and reports.
- Reviews requests for changes, modifications, and additions to the project scope. Responsible for the administration and maintenance of all contract documents, daily work reports, correspondence, additional services requests, change order requests, change orders, and related project documentation.
- Responsible for the verification of work performed and the recommendation for approval and payment of the amounts invoiced on behalf of architects, engineers, attorneys, building contractors, construction managers, and other consultants.
- Coordinate planning, design, engineering, and construction activities with representatives of the Office of the University Architect, Department of Operations & Maintenance and the various University Schools and Centers.
- Coordinate project progress meetings, issue monthly status and financial reports, update construction progress schedules, ensure that proper permits and zoning ordinances are obtained.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of the Project Committee for each project. Expected to manage a variety of circumstances with sensitivity to different values and perspectives. Coordinate and manage all activities from the perspective of an owner and in the best interests of the University. Assure adherence to departmental processes and procedures associated with the execution of capital projects. Manages assigned capital program elements to assure execution of projects within established budgets and schedules.
- Assist with the mentoring and training of new or less experienced project management staff.
- Other duties as may be required.
- BA, BS, BArch, MA, MS, or MArch in a technical field and discipline related to building design/construction management, such as Architecture, Construction Management, Engineering, or Interior Design and at least 7 years of stable and progressively responsible experience managing large and diverse project teams that includes supervision of commercial/institutional building renovations and/or new construction projects, and capital budget preparation and administration, or an equivalent combination of education/experience. This experience must include management of all phases on sample major projects from the initiation of programming and design through the completion of construction, commissioning, and occupancy.
- Must be well-versed in the design process, construction methodologies and procedures, and project management principles. Must have the ability to read and interpret design and construction contracts and contract documents, including drawings, specifications, payment applications, etc.
- Must have experience managing project budgets, schedules, scope, and quality of design and construction work.
- Must have strong initiative with the ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects, prioritize work tasks, and work either independently or as part of a team consisting of a wide variety of individuals.
- Must have excellent communication, writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Must have experience preparing Requests for Proposals and managing the procurement process for design and construction services.
- Must have experience preparing documents and/or presenting projects to senior leadership for design and/or financial approval.
- Must have experience evaluating additional design service requests and construction change order proposals to confirm that proper backup documentation is provided and the associated costs are fair and reasonable.
- Must have experience reviewing construction safety and logistics plans and a general knowledge of construction site safety procedures.
- Must have a working knowledge of building codes and associated standards and regulations for construction.
- Must have a working knowledge of project management software and be skilled in Microsoft Office.
Preferred Qualifications, But Not Required:
- Professional license in a field related to building design/construction management (PE, AIA, etc.)
- Master's degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, or Business
- Additional years of relevant experience beyond the requirements listed above
- Experience working in a campus environment similar to the University of Pennsylvania
- Experience working as an owner's representative
- Experience managing laboratory design or construction projects
- Experience managing a building infrastructure replacement project in an occupied building
- Experience managing the design and construction of a major new building project
For consideration, applicants should submit a cover letter expressing interest in this position and a resume outlining background and experience.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Facilities and Real Estate Services
$72,837.00 - $138,391.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Left-Bank-Facilites--Real-Estate-Services/Senior-Project-Manager---Design-and-Construction_JR00042102
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency