Research Dental Hygienist
- University of Pennsylvania
Research Dental Hygienist
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Research Dental Hygienist
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Research Dental Hygienist is responsible for performing dental hygiene duties in a clinical research setting within the Center for Clinical and Translational Research at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. S/he will conduct dental examinations, including dental and periodontal assessments; review subject questionnaires and medical records; administer study interventions in accordance with the study protocol; and collect and record data during implementation of study procedures. This individual will also ensure the accurate execution of research protocols in accordance with Good Clinical Practices, HIPPA, and other federal/institutional requirements; meet required obligations to patient/subject, Principal Investigator, research team and the sponsor; and directly interface with patients/subjects, the Principal Investigator, and study team in support of the clinical trials.
The Research Dental Hygienist will be responsible for performing dental hygiene tasks in a clinical research setting, as well as clinical research-specific duties. Responsibilities will include:
- Conducting dental exams, including dental and periodontal assessments; taking x-rays; performing study interventions according to the protocol; documenting all measurements and interventions performed; providing instructions to study participants including general oral hygiene and study-specific instructions; and setting up and breaking down the clinic area before/after study visits, including instrument sterilization.
- Participate in study administrative activities, including active engagement during study meetings; compiling and maintaining comprehensive research charts in paper and/or electronic form; developing and maintaining study regulatory documents including the essential documents binder, logs, case report forms, source documents, and participant materials; attending site initiation visits and calibrations as required by the protocol; and assisting in the development and submission of documents to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and other governing bodies.
- In consultation with study leadership, identifying and assessing adverse events and protocol deviations; ensuring that adverse events and deviations are documented and reported in a comprehensive and timely manner; screening laboratory results when received and following protocol procedures regarding abnormal values; and providing laboratory reports to the appropriate individual and ensuring appropriate documentation and filing.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of recruitment strategies; reviewing all elements of the screening process with the PI; and participating in the recruitment, pre-screening, and screening of potential participants, which may include gathering information from medical and dental records, fielding physician/dentist referrals, posting advertisements, and directly working with potential participants.
- Participating in the informed consent process including ensuring that the participant understands the purpose, risks and benefits, and procedures of the study, as well as his/her rights as a participant; documenting the informed consent process; and overall protecting the rights and welfare of study participants.
- Assisting clinical research coordinators in the conduct of the study which includes pre-screening and recruiting potential participants; participating in the informed consent process; performing screening assessments and baseline measurements; scheduling visits; organizing/running study visits; performing study assessments and procedures; performing data entry and completing study source documents and case report forms; and assisting with the collection, preparation, shipment, and/or storage of biological materials.
- Assisting with quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) procedures; implementing QA/QC plans; reviewing study records including essential documents, source documents, informed consent forms, and case report forms for accuracy and completeness; identifying and seeking correction of errors/omissions within study documents; drafting reports of QA/QC activities; and assisting in the development and implementation of corrective action plans as necessary.
- Demonstrating knowledge of and compliance with all policies and procedures governing clinical research activities, including those at the host institution at which the study is conducted, federal and state requirements, Good Clinical Practice (GCP), IRB policies, HIPAA, and other bodies as applicable; and demonstrating a knowledge of the research study, rationale, participants, and clinical procedures associated with each study to which s/he is assigned.
- Interacting with participants and families in a courteous and professional manner; showing consistency and regular follow-through with his/her participants and tasks; responding to requests in a timely manner with complete and accurate information, and encouraging productive dialogue and follow-through; using available resources and established procedures to identify problems before they happen, suggesting solutions, and implementing corrective actions for quick resolution.
- Degree in Dental Hygiene and current PA State license is required, plus at least 1 year of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Proficiency in using various Microsoft Office applications such as World, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook.
- Familiar with Internet applications.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and strong analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.
- Commitment to continuous learning as required by department administration.
- Ability to make decisions independently.
- Ability to manage time, multi task and prioritize work.
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems; ability to work well under pressure.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology, experience working in an Academic Medical Center, and research experience are preferred.
- Business and dental office setting. Comprehension of dental/dental hygiene scope of practice and impact on clinical operations.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$27.85 - $50.13
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Penn-Dental-at-Schattner-Center/Research-Dental-Hygienist_JR00041890-1
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Stephen H. Hoffman Professorship in Modern Hebrew…
Case Western Reserve University
Assistant Professor of Allied Health
The University of Tampa
Computer Science Professor, Tenured / Tenure Trac…
NYU Abu Dhabi
Chair, Department of Computer Science
Stevens Institute of Technology
Bridge to the Faculty Postdoctoral Research Assoc…
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO