Colorado State University invites nominations and applications for Department Head of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology in the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
The Department Head of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology will provide visionary leadership for faculty and staff in scholarship, instruction, and clinical diagnostic services. The Department Head will support and build on existing excellence, catalyze new initiatives and collaborations both within and outside of the Department. The Department comprises over 500 highly collaborative individuals who share a common passion for solving some of the most important human and animal health problems of today. This also includes a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Internationally recognized research programs include but are not limited to bacteriology, cancer, computational biology, immunology, molecular biology, pathology, prion biology, science education, systems biology, vector biology, and virology, which is currently supported by state and federal agencies (including NIH, NSF, DOD, USDA), industry partners, private foundations, and other NGOs with annual expenditures of $37.6 million. The Department houses the Center for Metabolism of Infectious Diseases, the Center for Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases, the Mycobacteria Research Laboratories, and the Prion Research Center. Faculty also participate in the Infectious Disease Research and Response Network and the Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Neurosciences Programs of Research and Scholarly Excellence at Colorado State University, as well as the One Health Institute. Faculty are members of the Colorado State University Cell & Molecular Biology Graduate Program, the Flint Animal Cancer Center, a partner with the University of Colorado Cancer Center, and the Colorado Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute.
The Department is strongly committed to excellence in undergraduate, graduate, and professional education. Faculty train veterinary medical students and residents and instruct medical students enrolled in the University of Colorado School of Medicine branch campus at Colorado State University. Faculty are nationally recognized for innovative teaching and pedagogical research.
Department faculty provide diagnostic service to national and international clients in anatomic and clinical pathology, microbiology, toxicology and parasitology through the Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratories. Faculty also provide specialized diagnostic testing for hematopoietic malignancies through the Clinical Hematopathology Laboratory.
Additional information about educational programs research areas and service can be found at Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology
The successful candidate must have a PhD and/or DVM/MD (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline with academic accomplishments that merit appointment at the rank of Professor with tenure.
In addition, applicants for the position of Department Head must present evidence that clearly demonstrates the following:
- Proven track record of excellence in research as demonstrated by publications and extramural funding.
- Established record of excellence in teaching undergraduate, graduate, veterinary, and/or human medical education.
- Established evidence of effective leadership such as:
- Working with a diverse team.
- Building, maintaining, and consistently improving organizational culture.
- Establishing collaborative relationships.
- A record of collegial and productive interactions with faculty, staff, and students.
- Effective decision-making skills.
- Establishing, communicating, and executing vision and strategic initiatives.
- Coaching and mentoring others.
- Outstanding communication skills, including interpersonal, writing, presentation and listening skills.
- Commitment to enhancing the diversity, equity, and inclusion among students, faculty, and staff.
- Preferred Qualifications
Biomedical/diagnostic service experience, with an emphasis on veterinary and/or translational medicine.
To apply, visit Jobs at CSU