The Director for Systems and Network Services reports to the Assistant Vice President for Systems, Networks & Information Security (AVP SNSIS) for all aspects of IT systems administration, data center management, network services, and infrastructure services management, including selection, adoption, provisioning, administration, maintenance, monitoring and security.
The Director supports the operational implementation of college technology strategy and executes the department direction and work priorities for the fulfillment of the college’s strategic objectives and the technical stability of the institution. They will collaborate with the Sr. Systems Engineer for Information Security to ensure alignment between systems & network services and information security policies and practices.
The Director has a significant impact on the department’s ability to meet long and short-term objectives.
The Director may chair college committees or participate in presentations to senior technology and college leadership. The Director also maintains external visibility: establishing partnerships with other institutions, developing vendor relationships, and sharing best practices at industry forums and conferences.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- 6+ years of professional systems administration experience, including demonstrated success managing complex information systems, infrastructure, and middleware systems.
- 4+ years of experience in project management including project identification, specification, and cost estimation.
- 4+ years of technical personnel management experience, demonstrating leadership and motivational abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent work experience.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and administer the acquisition and implementation of computing infrastructure including data center equipment, software, maintenance agreements, and cloud hosting agreements.
- Provide oversight and direction to the systems and network services employees including annual performance evaluations.
- Develop and be accountable for department operating and capital budgets and serve as a consultant to the AVP SNSIS for major college technology budget planning and forecasting efforts.
- Participate as a member of the management team in the development and implementation of strategic technology plans and initiatives.
- Serve as a principal contributor and developer of departmental policy and best practices, supporting the AVP SNSIS with internal and industry technology assessment and presenting findings that balance technology advancement and institutional stability.
- Lead the adoption and maintenance of Service Level Agreements with college partners and constituencies.
- Play a leading role in the development, implementation and management of disaster recovery and business continuity plans and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Solid understanding of standard Change Management concepts.
- Broad experience in developing and managing enterprise vendor relationships.
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, assignments and projects.
- Open minded and creative thinker that can balance innovation with practical considerations and respect for college policy and procedure.
- Skill in examining and engineering operations and procedures, recommending policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
The Director exercises management authority for the systems administration and network services groups, including decisions related to hiring, resource allocation, budget management and both onsite and remote technical facilities management.
The college is currently in a Modified Academic and Business Operation model, which means some of the work is being performed from remote locations. When the conditions permit, based on CDC and College Administrator's guidelines, employees may be required to resume their work on campus as directed by management. This position is located in the state of Massachusetts.
Applicants who are both interested and qualified should submit the following materials:
• Cover letter that addresses the applicant’s capabilities and experiences.
• A resume or CV.