Information Technology Technical Director - ISC Technology Services Platforms Infrastructure & Netwo
Information Technology Technical Director - ISC Technology Services Platforms Infrastructure & Network Engineering
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Information Technology Technical Director - ISC Technology Services Platforms Infrastructure & Network Engineering
Job Profile Title
Information Technology Technical Director
Job Description Summary
Information Systems & Computing (ISC) is the University of Pennsylvania's central IT organization, providing the core network, data, voice, video, and enterprise application infrastructure and services upon which Penn's numerous Schools and Centers build their unique tools and capabilities.
ISC's 270-plus employees work closely with the University's IT organizations in order to create, deliver and support products and services that help Schools and Centers operate efficiently and effectively. We strive to be easy to work with, and to serve as a trusted advisor to Penn's IT community, faculty, staff and students in support of an environment of discovery and progress.
ISC's focus on customer service and the high-quality, cost-effective, reliable implementation of modern IT solutions advances the mission of the University, as well as that of each individual School and Center. At Penn, technological freedom and departmental autonomy represent dearly held core values. ISC supports those ideas by providing foundational services and cogent counsel, empowering individuals and departments to employ their distinct strengths in support of their goals. https://www.isc.upenn.edu
Technology Services provides systems engineering, operations, networking, telecommunications, and collaboration services for use by the global University community.
The IT Technical Director for Platforms Infrastructure and Network Engineering is responsible for strategic and operational leadership for many centrally provided, mission-critical IT services as well as for directing the team of managers and IT professionals that run and maintain those services. This role will influence architectural standards and policies as well as set and maintain operational standards and best practices for service delivery. This role is also responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance and operation of core University IT infrastructure which can include voice and data networks - both wired and wireless, virtual and physical computing environments including virtual desktop solutions, systems administration, database and middleware administration, storage and backup systems, cloud-based resources and infrastructure, and infrastructure security. The IT Technical Director plays a role in ensuring financial viability for services in their portfolio and is supportive of the overall Technology Services and ISC budgets and planning process. As this position has overall responsibility for many key, mission-critical services, they must be able to accurately gauge technical and security risk, act expeditiously to make decisions when needed and prioritize customer-impact and maintaining service levels. The IT Technical Director must be technically proficient in a broad range of different technologies and be capable of synthesizing and integrating competing priorities and objectives to make measured decisions as to unit goals and objectives. This position will also frequently be responsible for large projects and programs that impact the campus community and carry significant financial and technical implications and can be run over multiple years.
- Lead, manage, and mentor the Platforms Infrastructure and Network Engineering staff with a focus on creating and maintaining a high-performance team that is service-focused, technologically forward-looking and results oriented. Provide leadership development and mentoring for managers on the team.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership for delivery of services including campus wired and wireless network, systems, databases and middleware, virtualization, storage, backup and cloud resources.
- Plan and oversee execution of large technology initiatives including regular cadence technology refreshes and new or innovative technologies for campus use
- Maintain financial responsibility for services in the portfolio of the department including costing and viability assessment. Support overall management and financial stewardship for the Technology Services budget.
- Perform the administrative duties required of the position including reporting on metrics, goals, and participating in budgetary planning and management.
- Perform additional duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field with 7-10 years of related experience and a minimum of five years of successful work experience in IT management/leadership or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. . Must possess the skills necessary to lead a highly-skilled technical staff fluent in advanced wired and wireless network technologies including firewalls, Windows and Linux systems administration, cloud infrastructure, database management systems, various storage and backup technologies, virtualization including virtual desktop. Experience providing mission-critical IT services reliably and on-budget. Proven record of delivering highly available, high performing technology infrastructure that is utilized 24x7x365. Experience with building, motivating & mentoring technology managers and leaders including technical subject matter experts. Must be a strategic thinker with strong analytical skills and the ability to define needs, develop plans, coordinate resources and implement action plans. Strong collaboration skills and the ability to influence a cross-functional team to deliver results. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and to resolve scheduling, competing priorities and other conflicts to meet target dates and budget. Strong customer service focus and the ability to lead and make sound decisions in fast-paced, high-pressure situations. Demonstrated strong listening, verbal, written & interpersonal communication skills with both technical & non-technical audiences. Higher education experience preferred. Experience with major cloud providers (AWS/Azure/GCP), wireless vendors, virtualization systems, Linux/Windows, relational databases, firewalls and/or backup systems a strong plus.
Office, library, computer room
Typically sitting at a desk or table
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Information Systems and Computing
$88,861.00 - $223,490.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/3401-Walnut-Street-A-Wing---2nd-Floor/Information-Technology-Technical-Director---ISC-Technology-Services-Platforms-Infrastructure---Network-Engineering_JR00041504
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency