Director of Communications
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (VCUarts) seeks a dynamic Director of Communications to lead communications, marketing and public relations activities that promote the school to both external and internal audiences.
The Director of Communications oversees a robust flow of communications, designing and directing media campaigns, coordinating with the school’s development team, and representing VCUarts at media events. The successful candidate brings energy and enthusiasm to lead and inspire an integrated marketing and communications team around a shared vision for the school’s long-term success.
A successful Director of Communications has a strong set of written, verbal and digital skills as well as problem-solving capabilities. Equally important, the director also possesses the confidence, flexibility and managerial talent to guide a team of communications staff. Other notable skills include:
· Leading and motivating staff to produce high-level, brand-driven content while encouraging a healthy workplace that values teamwork, experience and new ideas.
· Communicating in a clear and consistent manner.
· Utilizing analytical, creative and organizational skills to address challenges and increase the school’s media presence and quality of presentation.
· Multitasking and prioritizing time-sensitive projects while working in a fast-paced environment.
Other required Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
· A minimum of five years of experience with a complex organization engaged in marketing, communications and/or advertising and public relations preferably in a higher education or cultural environment.
· Leadership experience building, developing, supervising and energizing a team of communications professionals.
· An understanding of issues, controversies, and trends affecting higher education.
· Proven strategic and tactical communication skills and an ability to set proactive strategy throughout the year to quickly identify and leverage current events.
· Experience designing and implementing annual communications plans with a clear definition of goals that align with school and institutional priorities.
· Demonstrated commitment to working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment.
· Experience with digital and print advertising, website design, social media, and publications/printing.
For more information on VCUarts, please visit arts.vcu.edu. Virginia Commonwealth University, please visit vcu.edu and https://www.vcu.edu/about-vcu/facts-and-rankings/.
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.
Reporting to the dean of the School of the Arts, the Director of Communications will oversee print and digital media (design and production), donor and alumni publications, website content and management, public relations, internal communications, videography, social media and crisis communications. With significant experience in writing, editing, public relations, marketing, and/or design, the director will be key in supporting the Dean and the development team in messaging the strategic direction of the university’s next capital campaign. The director also will ensure that communications exemplify VCUarts’ core values as well as the university’s priorities to foster an inclusive and welcoming environment.
Ranked by US News & World Report as a top-five arts and design school, VCUarts (arts.vcu.edu) includes over 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students with nationally recognized programs in design, visual and performing arts. Students are taught by over 175 full-time teaching and research faculty members, and the school is supported by over 50 staff members that assist in daily processes. The School of the Arts includes two campuses, one in Richmond and one in Doha, Qatar. The Richmond campus is located on the university’s 75-acre Monroe Park campus situated in the city’s historic Fan District.
· Supervise project management, videography and photography, web development and the overall communications team.
· Design, direct and administer a dynamic, integrated communications program that extends across media and include pivotal recruitment and retention activities.
· Oversee budget development, implementation and fiscal management of communications and media-related projects.
· Utilize data and analytics to assess success and effectiveness to strengthen the VCUarts brand nationally and internationally.
· Collaborate with the school’s development team to engage alumni, donors and others who support VCUarts.
· Act as a liaison between the communications team and its constituents which includes the school’s departments and units, the Office of the Dean, admissions, development, the Institute for Contemporary Art, VCU University Relations, and the VCU School of the Arts campus in Qatar.
· Possess outstanding interpersonal skills and situational savvy with the ability to navigate complex environments with diverse constituents.
· Develop an effective and measurable social media strategy that integrates with other digital and print media platforms.
· Benchmark best practices in higher education and other industries to ensure a contemporary approach to issues, management and crisis communications.
· Perform other job-related duties as assigned.