Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Indiana University
- Bloomington, Indiana
Reporting directly to the President of Indiana University, the Vice President (VP) for Finance and Administration serves as the university's top fiscal officer, coordinating budgetary, financial, and administrative issues across all of IU's campuses. Responsible for balancing IU's operating and capital budgets, planning for changes in revenue, estimating enrollments, containing costs, and managing the institution’s level of risk to protect its assets, the VP for Finance and Administration provides leadership, oversight, and stewardship for all aspects of the university's financial resources while ensuring absolute institutional integrity on fiscal and administrative matters.
As one of the largest university systems in the U.S., IU consists of seven campuses, more than 200 research centers and institutions, a total budget of approximately $4.10 billion, and approximately 9,500 faculty, 12,000 staff and nearly 93,000 students. The current endowment is more than $2.2 billion. IU is one of only seven public universities in the nation with a AAA credit rating from both Moody's Investor Service and S&P Global. These ratings were reaffirmed in May 2020.
The VP for Finance and Administration is a strategic advisor to the president and recommends financial and administrative objectives, policies, programs, and practices that ensure a sound financial structure for the university. A keen understanding of significant issues/opportunities and the ability to develop and interpret complex financial models will be integral for this role. Focus will be directed toward capital financing and structuring, complex investment strategies, liquidity forecasting, operating expense efficiency and compliance across varied state, federal and industry regulations. The VP for Finance and Administration is a member of the President's Cabinet at IU and is a significant contributor to advancing the mission and strategic direction of the university, which includes promoting a climate of inclusion and equity.
Candidates with diverse backgrounds will be considered, although ideal candidates will have demonstrated experience and success in many of the following areas:
- Fifteen-plus years of experience in financial leadership roles in complex environments, with exposure to a broad range of financial, operational and risk management principles and practices.
- A strong, strategic orientation with the ability to serve as a strategic partner and advisor to the president as well as collaborate closely with other leaders on the senior administrative team and members of the board of trustees.
- An understanding of institutions of higher education with significant research activity and/or research-oriented, mission-driven enterprises is desirable.
- Relevant use of financial models, financial analysis, performance measures and metrics to understand complex situations, inform decision making and communicate decisions.
- Commitment to, and track record of, impact in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. Experience building and leading in an inclusive environment.
- Strong academic credentials required, including a preference for an M.B.A. and/or related graduate degree(s) or CPA.
Indiana University has retained Spencer Stuart to assist in this recruitment. To nominate an individual, express personal interest in the position, or communicate comments, questions, or suggestions to the search committee, please feel free to use the confidential search mailbox IUVPFA@spencerstuart.com.
A complete position description will be sent on request or can be found here.
More search results
Provost and Executive Vice President
Central Michigan University
Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Aff…
University of New England
Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Stu…
University of Puget Sound
Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and…
University of South Carolina
Vice President for Administration and Finance
University of Houston Downtown