Assistant Director Residence Life
Reporting directly to the Director of Residence Life, the Assistant Director is expected to lead an area of University Housing in its primary goal of establishing a positive, academically supportive environment for the residents of SIU Carbondale. Primary responsibilities include supervising an area consisting of approximately 1800 residents in facilities including apartment-style housing, a high rise residence hall, and four low-rise residence halls. This position is responsible for the supervision of full-time, master’s level Hall Directors, graduate Assistant Hall Directors and full-time administrative staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively support the vision, mission, goals and objectives for SIUC and University Housing.
- Conduct long-range planning and goal-setting for a residential program designed to support and enhance the quality of student life. Envision, articulate and codify a system of values that guide the efforts of the Residence Life Staff.
- Supervise full-time Hall Directors, graduate Assistant Hall Directors, full-time Civil Service employees and undergraduate resident assistants and student employees.
- Provide crisis and emergency response for on campus population of 4400.
- Direct the recruitment, selection, training, evaluation and termination of undergraduate and graduate paraprofessional students and full-time Civil Service and A/P staff.
- Develop and maintain appropriate standards of student behavior in a residence hall environment.
- Serve as a Judicial Officer for campus.
- Manage the safety and security of the residence hall area. Ensure operation of 24 hour desks. Anticipate threatening conditions within the residence hall areas and develop security and safety procedures to mitigate the risk of harm to residents, guests and property.
- Oversee planning, development and implementation of a residential programming model for University Housing.
- Compose training and procedure manuals for staff, including the creation or updating of policies and procedures in response to dynamic environmental conditions.
- Integrate the day-to-day residence life operation with other units within and/or outside Residence Life.
- Coordinate the day-to-day business/office operations in the area including.
- Ensure proper delivery of the U.S. mail and packages from independent carriers such as UPS and Federal Express.
- Initiate expenditures and budget dissemination as directed by the Associate Director of Housing - Residence Life.
- Coordinate with Housekeeping & Maintenance the upkeep of the buildings and grounds.
- Oversee space assignments and changes.
- Recruit prospective and current SIU students to live in residence halls.
- Provide fiscal management, report preparation for area office expenditures, salaries and wages for assigned areas.
- Coordinate formal staff recruitment and selection for full-time professional and graduate/undergraduate paraprofessional staff in Residence Life.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in student personnel administration or related field
- 3 years university housing/residence life experience
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and database software
More search results
Director, Research Technology
Deep-Sea Oceanographer: Tenure-Track Faculty Posi…
University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Oceanography
Lecturer or Professor of the Practice, Computing
University of Maryland Baltimore County
Assistant/Associate Professor - Educational Admin…
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Assistant Professor -Sculpture and Extended Media
Virginia Commonwealth University