Assistant Chief Engineer
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.
The Department of Facilities & Administrative Services is a large operational service organization that provides a broad array of services to the campus community through the following offices: Access Control Services, Automotive Services, Building Services, Energy & Central Utilities, Facilities Operations, Grounds & Landscape Maintenance Services, Mailing & Receiving Services, Occupational Safety and Environmental Services and Risk Management Services.
Under direction of the Director of Central Plant Operations, the Assistant Chief Engineer will help oversee a staff of 6 at the Central plant. MUST HAVE experience managing employees, incredibly organized, and a team player. Candidate will be responsible for the daily operation of plant equipment, which include a natural gas turbine, Boilers, Heat Recover Steam Generators (HRSG), Steam chillers, and Electric chillers.
- Manage the operators at the Power House.
- Prepare & supervise the deferred maintenance list for all mechanical systems.
- Develop proposals for soliciting public funds to meet and/or expand program objectives, activities and services.
- Administer and interpret applicable federal and state laws and regulations affecting the department and formulates resultant policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain work plans and procedures for the installation and repair of all mechanical systems on campus.
- Review data, prepare and maintain the budget. Monitor expenditures, evaluate spending patterns, and recommend approvals or disapproval of expenditure requests.
- This is a “hands on” position where candidate must demonstrate extensive knowledge of all tasks including plumbing, electrical, working with boilers, chillers, and power generation. Position has contract/office responsibility as well.
- Candidate will need a Blue seal Boiler license or Higher.
- Prior experience in monitoring contractors is required. Candidate must be a proven leader who has developed strong teams and provided ongoing learning opportunities for skill building and career advancement.
- Candidate will have a MINIMUM of 5 to 7 years’ experience. Superior verbal and written communication skills are required.
Final offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of background and reference checks
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required for all non-classified positions
TCNJ is a highly selective institution that has earned national recognition for its commitment to excellence. Founded in 1855, TCNJ has become an exemplar of the best in public higher education and is consistently acknowledged as one of the top comprehensive colleges in the nation. TCNJ currently is ranked as one of the 75 "Most Competitive" schools in the nation by Barron's Profiles of American Colleges and is rated the No. 1 public institution in the northern region of the country by U.S. News & World Report. TCNJ was named the #10 value in public higher education by the Princeton review in 2009 and, in 2006, was awarded a Phi Beta Kappa chapter - an honor shared by less than 10 percent of colleges and universities nationally. A strong liberal arts core forms the foundation for programs offered through TCNJ's seven schools - Arts & Communication; Business; Education; Humanities and Social Sciences; Science; Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science; and Engineering. TCNJ faculty members are teacher-scholars who share a commitment to liberal learning. TCNJ is located within an hour, by train, of New York City and Philadelphia. The College's campus is set on 289 tree-lined acres in suburban Ewing Township and is known for its natural beauty and has 39 major buildings, including the fourth-best college library in the nation, according to the Princeton Review.
Qualified candidates should apply online and submit a letter of interest, resume (CV), as well as the names and contact information for three professional references. Applications will be considered until a viable finalist has been found.