Business Manager/Administrator, Annenberg Public Policy Center
Business Manager/Administrator, Annenberg Public Policy Center
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Business Manager/Administrator, Annenberg Public Policy Center
Job Profile Title
Business Manager B
Job Description Summary
Working closely with the Annenberg Public Policy Center (APPC) Director of Finance, the Business Manager/Business Administrator (BM/BA) is responsible for assisting in all aspects of the financial management of the Annenberg Public Policy Center, a communication research and engagement center. The position is being posted at two levels, Business Manager B and Business Administrator B, with offer to be made based on candidate qualifications. A Business Manager candidate who can enter the role with a strong set of skills and 3-5 years of experience with Penn financial and administrative systems is preferred, but exceptional candidates with strong learning potential and less experience are also encouraged to apply for the Business Administrator position.
- Under limited supervision, the BM/BA oversees all accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing and payroll activity for APPC and ensures compliance with Penn's financial policies and all grant and endowment rules and restrictions.
- Business office activity includes managing purchase orders, non-PO invoices, and procard; providing travel support and processing expense reimbursements in Concur; support and facilitation of Workday processes including recruitment, hiring, timesheet approvals, cost allocations and reallocations, and managing all aspects of student employment for APPC. BA position will oversee student worker activity and carry out some Workday tasks with supervision; BM position will more independently manage all aspects of Workday activity.
- The BM/BA also provides accounting and budget support for APPC's Director, Director of Finance, area heads, and grant PIs; tracks budgets and expense detail for all grant, endowment, gift and operating funds monthly, including troubleshooting wayward charges and error correction via manual journal entry; and assists Finance Director with reports for the University budgeting process. (Level of budgetary responsibility will vary based on candidate qualifications and experience, with BM level position having more responsibility for developing and overseeing grant and other budgets.)
- The BM/BA is responsible for investigating, reviewing and managing all FRES and other central billing data and working with Building Administrator and IT staff to manage all building and IT equipment purchases, cost projections, reconciliations and asset inventories.
- BM/BA serves as the primary point of contact with APPC staff and faculty for all purchasing issues; with central departments like AP, Procurement, ORS for compliance and troubleshooting issues; and with vendors and independent contractors for account setups, invoice troubleshooting, etc
- The BM position will administer a small portfolio of grants, including pre- and post-award activity and ensuring compliance with all sponsored projects procedures and policies (e.g. conflict of interest and subcontracting). The BA-level position will assist with grant management.
- Potential for supervision of one or more student workers.
Because the center is small, the Business Manager/Administrator needs to be able to wear many hats, work independently, and be willing to quickly learn whatever skills they lack coming into the position.
- A Bachelor's degree and 2-3 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required (3-5 years of experience for Business Manager level).
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with lots of initiative who are willing and able to learn new systems and task quickly, and are able to efficiently organize and meet many competing demands.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential, including professional email writing skills and the ability to diplomatically but assertively enforce policies and guidelines, including with those at higher levels.
- Attention to detail is essential, as is strong determination to complete tasks and follow up on loose ends relentlessly.
- Given the small size of the business office, a willingness to take on all sorts of tasks, both high and low, complex and tedious, is needed.
- Fluency or at least a basic familiarity with Penn financial and personnel systems is strongly preferred, especially BEN Financials, Workday, Concur, and Paymentnet. Familiarity with PennERA, Planning, Business Objects, BEN Assets, Space@Penn, and AIM desirable.
- Excel skills are a must, and familiarity with other office software programs (Word, Outlook, etc.) will be needed.
- Experience with pre- and post-award grant management is desired, but can be taught to the right candidate who has not had grant management experience.
- Candidates must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, work independently, prioritize intelligently, meet deadlines without fail, and follow-up on outstanding issues aggressively.
- Ideal candidates will be flexible, organized, detail-oriented, accurate, and discrete.
A premier communication policy center, The Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania was founded in 1993 and created FactCheck.org in 2003. By conducting and disseminating research, staging conferences and hosting policy discussions, its scholars have addressed the role of communication in politics, science, adolescent behavior, child development, health care, suicide prevention, civics, and mental health, among other important areas. The center's researchers have drafted materials that have helped policy makers, journalists, scholars, constituent groups and the general public better understand the role that media play in their lives and the life of the nation.
- Cover letter
- Optional: upload one or two excel spreadsheets you've created to organize information, track expenses, or budget (please be sure to remove any confidential information before uploading)
Note: clicking the “upload” button at the bottom of the My Experience page in the application process will allow you to attach multiple documents.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Annenberg School for Communication
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Annenberg-Public-Policy-Center/Business-Manager-Administrator--Annenberg-Public-Policy-Center_JR00038704-1
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Dean, School of Law
University of California, Irvine
Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Associate Professor, or Full Professor Urban Land…
University of California Berkeley
Chair, Department of Biophysics
Medical College of Wisconsin
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Saint Anselm College