Soka University of America (SUA) is seeking a Dean of Faculty for its undergraduate program. SUA offers a challenging program in liberal arts with a focus on the Pacific Rim, and a strong emphasis on international/intercultural exposure. All undergraduates must complete four semesters of foreign (non-English) language coursework at SUA, and study abroad for one semester during their third year. The university aims to foster rewarding intellectual relationships among faculty, and between faculty and students through collaboration and mentoring. An appreciation of the centrality of peace, global citizenship, freedom, and human rights is the founding impetus for the university and its mission.
Candidates should demonstrate responsiveness toward and understanding of diverse student backgrounds, especially with regard to socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, culture, ability/disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and have a willingness to facilitate the university’s mission to develop global citizens.
Acting in close cooperation with, and under the guidance of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean of Faculty (hereafter referred to as Dean) has administrative responsibility for undergraduate education and research functions. The Dean is responsible for implementation of academic rules and regulations, academic advising, promotion of academic integrity, undergraduate curricula, faculty staffing and development, research activities, management of academic resources and oversight of academic Concentrations, Programs and Areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- With respect to students, the Dean is ultimately responsible for the academic advising process.
- With respect to courses offered in a given academic unit, the Dean, in consultation with the appropriate Director or Coordinator, establishes the course offering for each academic session, makes final assignment of faculty to teach these courses and supervises the progress of these courses. The Dean has overall responsibility for the development and implementation of the courses and programs of study within the undergraduate curriculum. In discharging these responsibilities, the Dean is to consult, as appropriate, with the relevant Concentration, Program or Area and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. New programs also require the approval of the Chief Academic Officer, the President and the Board of Trustees.
- The Dean oversees faculty recruitment and makes recommendations to the Vice President for Academic Affairs on all matters of hiring, retention and promotion for faculty who have served or are serving or will serve under his or her jurisdiction.
- The Dean establishes, with the aid of the Registrar, the university calendar.
- The Dean makes final determinations concerning the academic status of students enrolled in the program.
- The Dean supervises the preparation of the annual budgets covering the program and personnel costs of the academic units of the school, and prepares the aggregate budget for the overall program.
- Works in collaboration with Directors to ensure that faculty are responsive to students’ inquiries and assist in fair and efficient student problem resolution.
- Provides faculty with performance feedback, coaching and training to promote instructional excellence, faculty engagement and career development.
- Develops the undergraduate academic program in cooperation with the university faculty and in consultation with the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Works with the faculty to define new faculty positions; establish search committees for faculty hiring; create and refine academic offerings; and create an effective teaching and learning environment.
- Ensures academic quality control, in part, through evaluation of academic personnel.
- Supervises and guides as well as reviews the Director of the Writing Program; the Director of the Foreign Language and Culture Program; the Director of Creative Arts; and the Director of Internships and Study Abroad.
- Reports directly to the university Vice President for Academic Affairs and is expected to keep the Vice President for Academic Affairs regularly informed of all pertinent issues that the Dean oversees so that, in turn, the Vice President for Academic Affairs may inform the university’s President of important items and events.
- Creates an academic and professional ethos of the highest quality: in particular, a cooperative and mutually supportive working environment defined by superior academic judgment and skill, as well as by shared respect across the university’s academic community.
- Represents the university’s best interests at all times: in that regard, the Dean represents the faculty to the university’s administrative ensemble and represents the university’s institutional goals to the faculty for implementation and, when appropriate, for refinement and/or university-wide consultation.
- Works in conjunction with applicable faculty committees and Concentration/Program Directors to develop and implement strategies for assessment of courses and the undergraduate program.
- Oversees and coordinates the implementation and evaluation of academic offerings.
- Ensures that undergraduate faculty understands human resources policies and procedures.
- Joins other university administrators in establishing and refining institutional objectives and procedures.
- Reviews and revises the college catalog.
- Supervises transfer credit issues.
- Serves as a member of the Strategic Planning Steering Committee.
- Works cooperatively with the Vice President for Academic Affairs and with all members of the university community.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
- Experience in a tenured position, at the Full Professor level.
- Credentials suitable for a senior faculty appointment, with a record of accomplishment in teaching, scholarship, leadership, and service.
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible leadership experience in higher education administration.
- Ability to create and implement a shared vision with faculty and staff and achieve outstanding results.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students and administrators in a student- centered environment.
- Appreciation of diversity and the ability to work effectively with diverse faculty, staff, administrators and students.
- Commitment to professional development of faculty and staff.
- A history of effective leadership in a culture of shared governance.
- Support for student achievement and student success.
- Involvement in campus-wide strategic planning.
- Strong communication skills.
- Direct experience in the assessment of student learning.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and conflict resolution skills.
The Dean is appointed by the President, with the approval of the Board of Trustees. This administrator shall be granted tenure and hold faculty rank as Full Professor. The Dean carries a 12-month contract and reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean will teach one course during each semester. The Dean is appointed for a term of three years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Soka University of America offers a competitive benefits package.
Interested applicants should submit:
- Cover letter addressing how the candidate's experiences match the position requirements which includes a statement of qualification for the position.
- professional administrative experience
- academic goals
- intellectual outlook.
- A statement of understanding regarding Soka University's curriculum, mission & history. Please be specific about unique areas and/or qualities of the university's pedagogical format and student body profile.
- Diversity statement addressing the candidate’s past experiences, current activities, and future plans to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Curriculum vitae.
- The names, titles, email addresses and phone numbers of three (3) professional references.
Employment is contingent upon the completion of a successful background check. Soka University requires all employees and students to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If hired, you are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of your employment at Soka University, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide your vaccination record on your first day of employment.
To apply, please submit your application by January 03, 2022 through Interfolio by clicking on the link: http://apply.interfolio.com/94307
Please send any inquiries to this email address: email@example.com
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer
More search results
Chemistry and Biochemistry Lecturer
Northern Arizona University - Chemistry and Biochemistry
Eastern Washington University
Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Computer Sc…
Emory University, Department of Computer Science
T32 Training Program in Surgical Oncology Researc…
University of Pennsylvania
Instructor in Dermatology
University of Pennsylvania