Analyst, Patient Data & Prospect Development
Reporting to the Associate Director, Operations and Finance, the Analyst, Patient Data and Prospect Development administers the use of approved, HIPAA-compliant patient and constituent data for the Feinberg School of Medicine Development and Alumni Relations department. As the primary prospect development professional for Feinberg, the Analyst is responsible for managing patient data and access to it, as well as providing analysis, prospect research, training, and reports that support the department’s work securing philanthropic support for the Feinberg School of Medicine.
Please note: This position is not a managerial level role. Offers will be based on candidate experience and education, as well as equity within Northwestern University. The target budget for this opportunity is $50,000 - $55,000 annually.
Data Management, Analysis, and Reporting - 35%
Responsible for the management of all authorized patient data used by Feinberg Development and Alumni Relations for philanthropic and educational purposes, in compliance with applicable HIPAA regulations, as well as Northwestern University (NU) and Northwestern Medicine (NM) policies and rules.
- Under the supervision of the Associate Director, Operations and Finance, provides day-to-day management of patient data and reports populated by the NM Electronic Data Warehouse (EDW).
- Regularly performs checks, analyses, and tests of the data and database platform to identify issues.
- Carries out data hygiene projects and other measures as needed to address problems.
- Recommends and executes solutions and enhancements to Fienberg’s patient data system.
- Compiles and analyzes patient data; prepares reports.
- Collaborates with Feinberg gift officers and Senior Staff to play a key role in data management for direct marketing appeals.
- Works closely with Northwestern University Clinical and Translational Science (NUCATS)/EDW Research Analytics staff to monitor and preserve the accuracy and compliance of the patient data provided to Feinberg Development and Alumni Relations.
- Performs vendor/account research. Communicates with vendors to troubleshoot problems.
Prospect Development - 40%
Serves as the department’s primary expert on grateful patient prospect development, including identification of prospective donors at the major gift ($100K+) and principal gift ($5M+) levels, and dissemination of prospect names to gift officers.
1. Maintains the Patient Pipeline tool in Excel and oversees regular distribution of patient prospect reports to Feinberg gift officers.
2. Conducts wealth/asset/bio data screenings of approved grateful patient names.
- Verifies, interprets, and analyzes wealth data; compiles in an accurate, consistent and digestible format for use by gift officers.
- Exercises appropriate judgment and discretion in gathering facts and formulating analysis.
- Proactively identifies prospective patient donors, forwarding leads and prospect lists to gift officers as appropriate or requested.
3. Presents analyses and information to members of the department regarding the grateful patient prospecting process; solicits feedback on an ongoing basis.
4. Maintains awareness of trends, issues and peer best practices within prospect development and grateful patient prospecting.
- Gathers and shares peer benchmarking information pertinent to Feinberg’s fundraising productivity.
5. Collaborates closely with colleagues on NU’s Alumni Relations and Development Prospect Research and Management team.
- Coordinates and participates in prospect development orientations for new staff, as well as prospect portfolio reviews.
6. Serves as an expert on Northwestern University’s Prospect Management Policies and Procedures, and their relationship to fundraising for the Feinberg School of Medicine:
- Demonstrates a solid, detailed knowledge of the University’s prospect pipeline, prospect management business processes, and the proper use and function of prospect information in the database when conducting prospect identification and research activities.
- Participates in testing and review of reports and functionality related to prospect information in the CATracks database
- Accurately and efficiently obtains information from both internal and external sources, including the patient database, Ellucian Advance (CATracks) database, Cognos business intelligence interface (BI Tool), the OnBase document imaging system and various software applications and external databases.
7. Generates and maintain accurate and useful prospect information for the department.
- Notify ARD Gift and Record Services regarding new or updated biographical information
- Identify and pursue opportunities to streamline the delivery or accessibility of information.
- Safeguard the confidentiality of constituent information at all times; uphold university policies regarding confidential information. Adhere to Northwestern University’s ethical and confidentiality guidelines.
Regulatory Compliance - 10%
Acts as the department’s regulatory and compliance lead, ensuring compliance with HIPAA laws, as well as rules governing use of Protected Health Information (PHI), and all other applicable policies and agreements.
- Manages and administers a training program to ensure that all Feinberg Development and Alumni Relations staff complete regular training regarding HIPAA regulations and the proper handling of patient information.
- Responds to inquiries about the department’s use of patient data.
- As needed, communicates with colleagues in Northwestern Memorial HealthCare Corporate Compliance and Integrity.
Strategic Planning - 15%
Plays a key role in strategic planning related to patient grateful patient prospect development.
- Administers and executes strategic plans.
- Ensures that the program aligns with the organization’s mission, values, guidelines, policies, and procedures:
- Identifies service improvement opportunities that will better enable the department to achieve its goals and objectives.
- Reviews processes and trends to recommend new procedures or technology that increase efficiencies and support growth.
- Leads program/project updates and improvements.
- Ensures a strong major gifts pipeline by discovering potential future donors for cultivation.
- Identifies and obtains external expertise as needed for current and new initiatives.
- Provides accurate and timely information to Senior Staff.
- Participates in budget preparation as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: (Education, experience, and any other certifications or clearances)
- Successful completion of a four-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ work experience in prospect research, or an equivalent amount of relevant experience performing research duties in a development, academic, nonprofit, library, or corporate setting. Experience within a nonprofit medical/healthcare organization strongly preferred.
- Experience working with a complex relational database; Ellucian Advance experience preferred.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Expert competency with the Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated creative and flexible research skills, including the ability to analyze, interpret, summarize, and present information effectively, and use online sources resourcefully and effectively.
- Skilled in reading and interpreting financial documents and asset information.
- Experience and references demonstrating scrupulous accuracy and attention to detail, including strong data management skills, professional/business writing proficiency, as well as the ability to exercise sound, independent judgment and follow established protocols and procedures.
- Commitment to professional ethics, ability to apply an ethical code and good judgment; must be able to handle confidential materials and situations with sensitivity and discretion.
- Strong abilities in the following areas:
- Written and verbal communication, including writing, proofreading, and editing skills
- Organization and time management
- presentations and report compilation
7. Flexibility in a fast-paced environment.
8. Demonstrated cultural competency: Ability to engage with and respect diverse perspectives and create an inclusive environment.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Advanced degree in a relevant area of study.
- Experience in a compliance role, specifically related to HIPAA and/or a healthcare environment.
- Experience in a technical support role.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Familiarity with Cognos business intelligence applications.
Please apply online at https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=41090&PostingSeq=1
Northwestern University, the Feinberg School of Medicine, and its Development and Alumni Relations office seek a diverse workforce and are actively recruiting candidates in accordance with the university’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.
More search results
Administrative Coordinator (Neurology)
University of Pennsylvania
Business Administrator, Wharton Graduate Division
University of Pennsylvania
Dean of the College of Humanities, Arts, Behavior…
California State University San Marcos
Dean, School of Pharmacy
University of California San Francisco
Managing Director, International Business Institu…