- George Mason University
- Fairfax, VA 22030
The George Mason University Foundation, Inc. invites qualified candidates to apply for a full-time Staff Accountant position. George Mason University Foundation is a 501©(3) non-profit foundation and a private corporation organized and operated exclusively for the benefit of George Mason University. The Foundation assists the university in generating private support and manages, invests, and administers private gifts, including endowments and real property. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Staff Accountant provides financial and operational support to the accounting department within the Foundation. The position is responsible for the administrative duties involved in overseeing 1400+ restricted foundation accounts and 580+ endowment foundation accounts, including account set up in advancement CRM, as well as Abila MIP, management of files, signature authority, tracking of balances, resolving negative account balances, and related support to the university community. This position serves as the primary administrator of the BoA Works online system to include issuing new credit cards, providing necessary training, responding to cardholder requests, and monthly reconciliation of credit card activity to MIP. This position will perform quarterly reconciliations for prepaid assets, fixed assets, alumni engagement accounts, OSP clearing, advances, New Account Holding, and advancement operations accounts, as well as other accounts as necessary. This position prepares the quarterly financial GMUF reports distributed to the units, as well as in-kind and fixed asset reporting to the university. This position also provides support for the external audit and various other projects and duties as assigned.
- Issue new credit cards and provide appropriate training;
- Perform accounting review of coding and descriptions submitted by credit card users and resolve discrepancies and ensure adequate support is provided;
- Perform bi-monthly credit card upload and monthly reconciliation of the liability account;
- Manage the process of opening new foundation accounts, including all required paperwork needed from the units;
- Manage existing foundation accounts, tracking activity and account changes;
- On an ongoing basis, review restricted accounts for negative and unused balances, resolving issues, posting related entries, and close accounts as necessary;
- Provide reporting to Advancement’s Donor Relations on endowment activity and scholarship expenditures;
- Communicate with the university community regarding the activity within their related accounts and assist in resolving identified issues or questions;
- Reconcile on a quarterly basis: prepaid assets, fixed assets, alumni engagement accounts, advances, OSP clearing, new account holding, and development operations clearing accounts;
- Prepare and distribute quarterly financial GMUF reports for distribution to the units;
- Function as the Foundation liaison to the university community for system-related requests;
- Manage reporting requests for financial information from the university community; evaluate and respond to requests in a timely manner;
- Work with the Assistant Controller and Controller on reporting requests related to unit/department needs;
- The primary point of contact for Foundation Accounts Online system;
- Assist in special projects and other duties as assigned by the Assistant Controller or Controller.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Must be independent, self-motivated, and able to work independently;
- Ability to utilize accounting databases and fundraising databases for completion of tasks;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills;
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to communicate professionally with a wide variety of audiences;
- Talent in delivering engaging presentations and ability to train others;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to manage overlapping tasks and prioritize;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Knowledge of financial reconciliations;
- Ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated ability use Microsoft Office Suite;
- Excellent Excel and data skills;
- Familiarity with accounting is required.
- Familiarity with a university foundation is helpful;
- 1-3 years of general accounting experience;
- Knowledge of Abila MIP or Affinaquest/Salesforce.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 10350z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.