- NYC Mayor's Office of Operations
- New York City, NY
NYC OFFICE OF THE MAYOR
OFFICE OF OPERATIONS
POSITION TITLE: DATA ENGINEER
JOB ID NUMBER: 472012
ABOUT THE OFFICE
The Mayor’s Office of Operations (Operations) was established pursuant to the NYC Charter to oversee the daily operations of City agencies, coordinate City initiatives, and assist agencies in improving service quality and delivery. The office is also responsible for measuring agency performance to provide greater accountability.
The mission of the Mayor’s Office of Data Analytics (MODA), housed within the Office of Operations’ administrative structure, is to help City agencies apply strategic analytical thinking to data in order to deliver services more equitably and effectively and to increase operational transparency. MODA’s work in partnership with agencies touch on a wide variety of areas including: public safety, education, emergency management, transportation, physical infrastructure, and economic development. Depending on the engagement, MODA staff may serve as analysts, strategic advisors, technical resources, or project managers.
MODA is also responsible for implementing the New York City Open Data Law, the most ambitious and comprehensive open data legislation in the country. MODA partners with the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DoITT) to manage the City’s Open Data program, which has over 2,500 publicly available datasets and 30,000 weekly users, and achieve Open Data for All, the Mayor’s vision to maximize New Yorkers’ engagement with City data.
Operations/ MODA is recruiting for one of the following titles to function as a Data Engineer:
- Computer Associate (Software)
- Computer Specialist (Software)
- Certified IT Developer (Application)
- Certified Application Developer
Reporting to the City’s Chief Analytics Officer, and supporting both MODA and the wider Operations infrastructure, the Data Engineer’s responsibilities will include:
- Managing and overseeing the scoping, development, testing and implementation of data systems, including the following areas:
- Technical business analysis and requirements gathering;
- Developing data collection and management policies (workflow and procedures);
- Application and system programming;
- Web development;
- General system integration needs;
- Quality assurance testing and maintenance;
- Formulating data analysis for reporting;
- Dashboards and other visualization tools;
- Provide technical guidance: work with business and policy analysts to assess data management needs, expected inputs and outputs, and applicability to address business and policy challenges;
- Work with data analysts to understand technical challenges that lead to data errors/inconsistencies and make recommendations on a set of standards to improve accuracy of data collection;
- Project management including the day-to-day aspects of system development;
- Work independently or collaboratively to develop project scope and work plans to estimate work effort, track progress, etc; and
- Oversee the development of new ETL processes, and maintenance of existing ones, supporting and scaling our production SQL Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Manage process automation for application deployment, and maintenance Providing technical assistance and advice to product engineers and BI
- Document, track, and monitor problems to ensure timely resolution, as well as setting up, configuring, and supporting internal and/or external computer network
- Work with QA staff to diagnose and resolve performance-related problems;
- Document technical risks and issues, and actively work to avoid, mitigate, and resolve risks;
- Promote best practices and take initiative to introduce new and emerging technologies;
- Perform special projects and initiatives as
PREFERRED SKILLS AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5 years+ of professional experience;
- Keen attention to detail, flexibility and an enthusiastic work ethic;
- Experience which demonstrates a proven record of providing analytical and/or technical assistant for complex, interdisciplinary projects involving multiple stakeholders;
- Experience in performance reporting, process improvement methods, data collection or data analysis in complex operational environments;
- Extensive experience working as a hands-on developer and architect for job streams, and process handling. Knowledge of ETL requirements with strong understanding of ETL methodologies and design patterns.
- Understanding of standard SDLC . Proficient in relational databases and table structure.
- Experience in designing and developing Application Data
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact well with stakeholders, project leaders, senior management, and team members
- An understanding of urban issues, especially New York City government and current city affairs/policies and New York City’s agency operations;
- 3+ years experiences with Microsoft SQL and SSRS;
- 2+ years experiences with Microsoft Access/Excel VBA, Macro coding;
- SQL Server/Windows Server administration;
- LAMP, Web programming experience with any
- Experience with data integration tools like Orion Health Rhapsody or Pentaho administration
- Experience with data visualization tools like SSRS, Tableau, Microsoft PowerBI,
- Experience using ESRI ArcGIS x., Survey123, and mobile data collector tool
- Strong MS Office 2010 and later including Visio, Excel and MS-Access.
Commensurate with experience.
For City employees, go to Employee Self Service (ESS), click on Recruiting Activities > Careers, and search for Job ID #472012
For all other applicants, please go to www.nyc.gov/jobs/search and search for Job ID #472012
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days of Appointment
The Office of the Mayor and the City of New York are equal employment opportunity employers.
Women, people of color, LGBT individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and the Office of the Mayor is committed to helping staff to develop and grow.
For current job opportunities in the NYC Mayor’s Office visit: MO Job List
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources at HR@cityhall.nyc.gov.
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
More search results
President, SUNY New Paltz
SUNY New Paltz
Associate Dean of Libraries and Information Scien…
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Clinical Assistant Professor, Liberal Studies
New York University
Assistant Professor (Tenure-Track)
New York University Faculty of Arts and Science
Director of Marketing and Public Relations
SUNY Schenectady County Community College