- George Mason University
- Fairfax, VA 22030
Director of Business Strategy
The George Mason University, Division of University Life is seeking interested and qualified candidates for the position of Director of Business Strategy for University Life. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About University Life:
University Life cares for the whole student by promoting inclusive well-being and fostering lifelong learning to prepare ethical leaders for the world. Its vision is that EVERY STUDENT SUCCEEDS!
About the Position:
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for University Life, this position oversees the finance and business-related activities of the division. This position assists University Life unit managers with business operations and planning and keeps AVP informed of critical division activities. This position will facilitate short and long-range strategic planning for new and/or expanding programs; partnerships; revenue generation; new ventures and works closely with HR, IT and facilities division leadership for integrated financial and operational planning. This role provides oversight for the development of implementation of related policies and procedures to achieve desired outcomes and related performance goals and metrics for the division. The position oversees financial reports/analysis relating to operational and financial effectiveness, and financial business planning of University Life. The position will serve as an important conduit and interface between University Life cabinet leadership, directors, and managers. This role will maintain relationships with central administration and other University departments.
Management of Operations and Contracts:
- Assist AVP and other divisional leadership with management of operations and contracts;
- Monitor operational activities, working closely with unit managers to keep AVP informed of critical issues involving operations, contracts, services and related finances;
- Advise the AVP on matters relating to program budgets, capital planning, and financial impact of operations and new initiatives;
- Work with AVP to provide leadership and guidance to University Life unit managers in overseeing performance and making business decisions;
- Assist AVP in developing operational objectives, long-term strategic planning, and business development strategy;
- Represent University Life throughout the university, participating in committees;
- Support AVP on other matters, as needed.
- Supervise and mentor financial managers and analysts for University Life providing counsel, as needed;
- Assess and implement shared services model in division to better leverage staff resources in this area;
- Develop staff to enable them to assume increasingly complex financial and budgeting assignments, and to improve leadership skills.
Strategic Financial Planning/Evaluation:
- Work with AVP to evaluate new projects for financial returns and capital needs in early stages of development.(Business Plans, “What if” analysis, etc., to help determine early if a project has enough merit to move forward);
- Support development of business plans for new revenue generating opportunities. Assist units to produce multi-year financial business plans to support resource growth needs and planning, and to assist Office of Strategic Budget & Planning with the University’s five-year planning exercises. Include multiple scenarios that allow for changes to variables and “what if” analyses;
- Support AVP in overarching risk management efforts of the department;
- Oversee creation of studies to conduct short-term and long-range analyses to support management strategic plans.
Oversight of Revenue/Expenses:
- Provide leadership to unit managers regarding oversight of revenues/expenses;
- Work closely with University Life units on developing monthly, quarterly and yearly financial forecasts. In consultation with central finance area, develop tools to improve and standardize this process;
- Develop/enhance centralized financial reports to be shared with management and the Office of Budget & Planning;
- Hold regular finance meetings with key unit level personnel to transmit important information from Office of Strategic Budget & Planning and develop unit leader finance and budget personnel;
- Review financial performance, and key financial metrics and activities with AVP;
- Support University Life on human resources issues that are financial-centric;
- Work with AVP to manage 10-year capital planning process, facilities reserve balances and planning, capital funding needs and strategies, and leading 9 balances and payments;
- Manage annual room and board rate setting process with Housing and collaborates with Senior Director of Operations and Business Services dining unit for Board of Visitors approval;
- Work with AVP and unit managers to evaluate contracts against available metrics;
- Research and analyze revenue, expense and profitability variances.
- Perform cost, and financial analysis of data reported in the various financial systems and assist in the analysis of financial data and extracts;
- Work with business partners on quarterly financial forecasts and provide variance/trending analysis.
Offices of Strategic Budget & Planning, and Fiscal Services Liaison:
- Assist with Office of Strategic Budget & Planning requirements for annual budget formulation (online requests, review of original budget documents, etc.);
- Complete budget adjustments, as required;
- Be central contact for Office of Strategic Budget & Planning for questions relating to University Life;
- Assist the capital planning and debt management office with the development of financial feasibility studies for future capital projects;
- Coordinate annual budget development for AVP to review and approve.
- Master’s degree in a field related to Business, Accounting, Finance, or Fiscal Management and 12 plus years of experience with progressively responsible and comparable duties and assignments. Additional years of experience and training may be substituted for a Masters degree; B.A. or B.S. degree required;
- Significant, demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and managing financial and administrative policy, preferably in a university or non-profit environment;
- Collaborative management style;
- Demonstrated experience building effective teams and overseeing diverse professional and clerical staff;
- Expert knowledge of the principles and practices of budget planning, evaluation, and execution and familiarity with personnel, payroll, procurement, operational, and financial reporting;
- Demonstrated ability in promoting a team approach to efficiently carry out the functions of a finance and administration office
- Exemplary communication skills (both written and oral), especially when communicating with a wide range of stakeholders with varying levels of financial acumen;
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills, and the ability to function independently;
- Experience aligning strategic initiatives with financial plans and forecasts;
- Demonstrated experience overseeing financial operations for complex organizations with various forms of revenue streams and allocations;
- Successful experience in managing and resolving conflict, building consensus, and making sound judgments in a complex environment;
- Demonstrated experience and a level of gravitas to interface at the executive-level.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA92Fz at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
More search results
Graduate Academic Administrator
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Associate Vice President for Institutional Resea…
Georgia Institute of Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology
Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering…
Michigan Technological University