Assistant Director, Design
Miami University's Division of University Advancement (UA) has an opening for digitally-focused designer to create and build engaging digital touchpoints that resonate emotionally with alumni/donors and drive results. This design position assists with the development and implementation of digital platforms for University Advancement, including email marketing, social media and web. You'll work closely with writers and other content creators to bring the Miami experience to life in a way that inspires alumni/donor engagement and giving. This position reports to the director of digital services within the University Advancement Marketing, Communications and Technology team.
University Advancement is the fundraising and alumni relations division for the university, and our in-house marcom team helps engage Miami's alumni/donors through a variety of in-person events and virtual experiences, digital and social media channels, content creation, publications and promotional marketing materials. It’s a fast-paced, highly collaborative work environment in a quintessential college campus setting in Oxford, Ohio.
In alignment with Miami University’s statement on Diversity and Inclusion, University Advancement is committed to and fully embraces the philosophy and belief that a diverse community is among an institution's greatest strengths. The Division of University Advancement is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where all people feel safe, valued, and respected. To view our full statement including our specific commitments, please visit our website: miamialum.org/DEI_statement.
- Under direction of the director of digital services and the associate director, design, strategizes visual content and design, along with the implementation of these designs, for websites, email, social media, videos, and multimedia graphics.
- Works in collaboration with the associate director, design to ensure consistency of brand guidelines across all platforms.
- Serves as the main point-of-contact for all day-to-day website updates.
- Collaborates with the digital engagement team to strategize and create engaging visual assets for social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and twitter.
- Designs within the parameters of the Anthology Encompass CMS tool and other digital channels and platforms, including Emma and the WordPress blog platform, among others.
- Depending on work volume and overlapping project needs with the brand experience team, may also be assigned to projects for print collateral, video and multimedia graphics and may also create original artwork, as needed, for University Advancement publications, while working within both the division and university brand frameworks and guidelines.
- Adhere to a fast-paced, multi-client production schedule to ensure timely delivery of creative for client deadlines.
- Work with outside vendors to complete lead special projects related to digital design and implementation as needed (e.g. MoveInMiami microsite).
- Art direct photography and video production shoots as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or three years of graphic design experience.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suites (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Working knowledge of HTML, WordPress
- Creativity, organization, deadline-driven, enthusiasm, and an ability to articulate the mission of Miami University in print and online graphic design.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, especially in relation to clients and bringing their ideas to life through design.
- Strong typography, layout design, and production skills.
- Fine art, drawing, photography or other specialized skill expected.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, problem-solving, and organizational skills. Ability to handle constructive criticism and client preference in a professional manner.
- Provide an online portfolio of samples indicated above.
- Willingness to work on weekends and/or extended hours as necessary.
- Degree in graphic design, visual communications, advertising, interactive media or related fields.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly PowerPoint; motion picture graphics
- Professional experience as an in-house graphic designer for ad agency, marketing firm, or printer.
- Experience in Anthology Encompass CMS
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.