Academic Advisor, School of Business
- George Mason University
- Fairfax, VA 22030
Academic Advisor, School of Business
The George Mason University, School of Business, invites applications for at least three positions of Academic Advisor. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
The Academic Advisor engages students in interpreting and applying George Mason University and the School of Business programs and services, requirements, policies and procedures. As well as, evaluating students’ academic progress; providing guidance in determining students’ academic interests and objectives; and aiding them to develop long-range academic and career plans. The Academic Advisor positions are full-time staff positions with full benefits.
The Academic Advisor has responsibilities in the following areas:
- Provide academic advising in individual consultations, group events or presentations, and tabling, for current and aspiring business students on such topics as major or minor choice, curriculum selection, study skills, scholarship and club opportunities, and other academic-related areas;
- Plan and implement academic-related events and perform outreach to business students for retention efforts;
- Develop online programs and workshops on academic planning, orientation, and academic status for academic development;
- Develop, disseminate and maintain resources to assist students with academic planning and development of academic/career/professional knowledge and skills;
- Coordinate complex activities to support student academic planning.
- Understand and implement proper use of rules and procedures concerning confidentiality.
Educational Program Development and Planning:
- Create and manage student services program operations, establish goals, develop and implement methods to evaluate and assess program effectiveness, and modify policies and procedures to enhance the overall efficiency of the office;
- Create and implement new initiatives, programs, and services to better enhance the overall experience of BUS students;
- Support the creation and implementation of online services for fully online business students;
- Represent the School of Business as a liaison to University offices or by serving on various committees across the University to maximize student retention programming efforts.
- Input individual student contact information into Salesforce database to provide immediate access for other advisors and consistent advising information for students;
- Write appropriate notes summarizing important information concerning the contact;
- Utilize the Student Success Collaborative (SSC) database to create and/or participate in campaigns for targeted outreach to select students;
- Manage availability within the Student Scheduler in SSC to enhance the student experience for scheduling appointments;
- Utilize Patriot Success database to assist with Mason’s retention efforts;
- Utilize Banner INB student information system to review student transcripts, records, course registration history, and entering course overrides;
- Research and respond to student inquiries by email.
- Provide feedback for updates to School of Business online materials to reflect changes in policies and programs;
- Maintain student records utilizing Salesforce;
- Maintain open professional communication with faculty and administrators to share information and align academic services with the school’s mission;
- Provide input on student request decisions and participate in appeals committee as asked;
- Provide accurate interpretations of policies and procedures for students, parents and faculty;
- Assist with processing of graduation audits, notify students of discrepancies and follow up with them on options;
- Assist with updates to orientation materials each semester.
Create and manage special events and projects as assigned by leadership in the Office of Student Success and Academic Services.
- Bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Academic advising experience;
- Ability to develop, implement and manage academic programs and services;
- Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills;
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint; WordPress; and in the use of the Internet;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently.
- Master’s degree preferred or equivalent education and experience;
- Demonstrated full-time work experience in academe and working knowledge of student record databases.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01445z at https://jobs.gmu.edu by July 15, 2021; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. We will contact you directly if we require additional materials. Review of applications will begin on July 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
More search results
Chief Financial Officer, Vice President for Finan…
Golden Gate University
Tenure-Track Faculty Position - Department of Mat…
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Dean, Sellinger School of Business and Management
Loyola University Maryland
Michigan Technological University
Associate Director for Business Services
Southern Oregon University