Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer (SVP & CFO)
- Claremont Graduate University
- Claremont, CA
Claremont Graduate University (CGU) invites applications and nominations for the newly created position of Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer (SVP & CFO). CGU seeks an experienced, forward-thinking, and strategic leader who will be responsible for the fiscal leadership of Claremont Graduate University.
Claremont Graduate University
Founded in 1925, CGU combines the attributes of a small liberal arts college with research university faculty and graduate-level degree offerings and has an operating budget of approximately $50 million and an endowment of about $200 million. As the only research-intensive institution in the nation devoted entirely to graduate-level liberal arts education, CGU is home to more than 133 faculty supporting over 2,000 students pursuing advanced degrees in seven schools in a setting that is intimate, interdisciplinary, and engaged with the world.
Research and scholarly activity at CGU are high, with the University generating a prodigious intellectual footprint relative to its size. Members of the CGU faculty produce and apply knowledge across all of the scholarly disciplines represented in its schools and departments, collaborate with colleagues around the globe, and actively mentor students on research, creative projects, studio work, and artistic performance. External funding such as federal research grants, foundation grants, and public and private contracts supports much of this work. Over the last decade, CGU has averaged $8 million per year in sponsored research—from the Department of Education, National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, National Cancer Institute, and more. For more information about CGU, please visit https://www.cgu.edu/.
The SVP & CFO position has been established to create a strategic partner in long-term financial planning for the university. The SVP & CFO will work closely with the President, Board of Trustees, and senior leadership to identify additional revenue opportunities through partnerships and new lines of business, create financial models, and track measurable results. Reporting to the President, the SVP & CFO will serve as a key partner and trusted advisor to the President and other Cabinet members in shaping financial and operational strategies that will support CGU’s academic mission. The SVP & CFO will be responsible for the implementation of all fiscal policies and regulations and for ensuring ethics and compliance within their areas of responsibility. In addition, the SVP & CFO will work closely with the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer in overseeing the University’s Human Resources, Facilities and Operations, Accounting/Audit, Information Technology, and Risk Management functions.
The SVP & CFO will play a major leadership role in defining resource allocation, developing priorities and strategies, and implementing campus-wide budget processes. The SVP & CFO will partner closely with the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer and with the Vice President for Academic Innovation, Student Success, and Strategic Initiatives to devise enrollment forecasts. As part of the Cabinet, the SVP & CFO will play a key role in the development of University policy.
For a detailed position profile, please visit https://www.spaexec.com/pd/CGUSVPCFO.pdf.
Candidates for the SVP & CFO role at Claremont Graduate University should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in business administration, accounting, finance, or a related field (an MBA, JD, CPA or other advanced degree/certification is preferred);
- More than 10 years of progressively responsible financial and administrative leadership roles in a complex environment (preferably within higher education or a related field);
- Experience working within an environment that has complex rules and regulations, while ensuring compliance;
- A clear record of creative problem solving, team-based solutions implementation, and forward-thinking planning;
- An understanding of and familiarity with higher education funding models;
- A track-record of building effective teams, developing and retaining talented staff, and working within a diverse organization;
- Success leading positive change management within an organization that has a diverse set of stakeholders;
- Success identifying creative approaches to addressing problems and instilling a service- and solutions-oriented approach throughout an organization;
- A history of working with stakeholders across an organization to ensure processes and procedures are clear, consistent, efficient, effective, and aligned with organizational values and objectives;
- A record of successfully managing existing resources and identifying new revenue streams to advance an organization’s goals;
- Success leveraging technology to ensure accurate and timely information is provided to decision-makers;
- A demonstrated ability to lead and work with a wide range of functional units; and
- Experience working with external partners to identify mutually beneficial partnerships.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit a current CV or resume and a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position. Submission of materials via e-mail is strongly encouraged. Nominations should include the contact information of the nominee. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Salvador Venegas, Principal
Refer to code “CGU-SVPCFO” in subject line
Claremont Graduate University is committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunity.
More search results
Vice President and General Counsel
Senior Vice President, Finance and Budget & Chief…
Stony Brook University
VP Academic Affairs
Doña Ana Community College
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Frostburg State University
Assistant Vice President for Accounting and Unive…
Stony Brook University