The University of Portland invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for Human Resources (VPHR). Appointed by and reporting to the University President, the VPHR sits on the President’s Leadership Cabinet and oversees all areas, policies, standards, and processes related to Human Resources at the University.
The VPHR will lead a team of six skilled HR professionals and foster a collaborative environment while overseeing the development, implementation, assessment, and modification of policies, processes, practices, and initiatives of the University’s Office of Human Resources, an organization that addresses, among other functions, employee recruitment, compensation, benefits administration, professional development and training, employee relations, compliance with civil rights and other relevant laws, and employee conduct matters.
The VPHR will assume a wide range of responsibilities:
• Collaborate with members of the PLC on matters related to the University’s strategic approach to employment and personnel management, as well as compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and standards.
• Oversee the management of all staff who support the University’s Human Resources areas.
• Oversee and approve the development, implementation, and assessment of contracts in all Human Resources areas. This includes the authority to enter into contracts on behalf of the University in Human Resources areas.
• Oversee and approve the development, implementation, and assessment of budgets in all Human Resources areas, consistent with University financial policies and processes.
• As a member of the PLC, support the development, implementation, oversight, and assessment of strategic initiatives and plans in other areas of the University.
• Advise, communicate with, and respond to questions from University departments regarding issues or policies impacting Human Resources functions.
• Exhibit deep understanding of the University, its Catholic and Holy Cross mission, identities, and culture.
• Support and promote equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
• Exercise sound judgment and colleagueship as a member of the PLC to creatively meet institutional challenges and opportunities.
The University of Portland seeks a dynamic and visionary candidate who will have significant experience as a leader in the Human Resources area with a proven capacity to provide thoughtful, inclusive guidance as well as the energy and enthusiasm to help the University achieve critical goals, including but not limited to civil rights compliance. The VPHR must be a person of high ethical standards with an understanding of and support for the Catholic mission of the University, including its strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. An ability to be an effective partner with diverse students, faculty, and staff is essential, as is the ability to exercise excellent judgment in emergency, crisis, difficult, and confidential situations. The successful candidate will have demonstrated lived experience, knowledge, skills, and/or success in diversity, equity & inclusion work within or transferable to higher education; these should be described in the cover letter
For a full description of the role, please see here.
The University of Portland is an equal opportunity employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. The University of Portland does not discriminate in its educational programs, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other school-administered programs, or employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by and consistent with the law. Please see the University’s full Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination Policy here:
The University of Portland has retained Opus Partners (www.opuspartners.net) to support this recruitment. Jim Hess, Partner, and Katie Dean, Associate Partner, are leading the search. Confidential inquiries, applications, and nominations should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More search results
Ohio University - ADMISSIONS
Transfer Credit and Articulation Analyst
Ohio University - ADMISSIONS
Associate Professor of Professional Military Educ…
Naval War College
Dean of the Libraries
Assistant Director, Access Services and Spaces, U…
Mount Saint Mary's University